PARIS, June 11 Rafael Nadal claimed a record-extending 10th French Open title with a comfortable 6-2 6-3 6-1 victory over Swiss Stan Wawrinka on Sunday.
The 31-year-old Spaniard, who won his 15th grand slam title, broke Wawrinka's serve six times and recorded 27 winners in a two-hour long final.
Third seed Wawrinka, the 2015 winner, struggled for the majority of the match, committing 29 unforced errors to suffer his first grand slam final defeat in four appearances.
Nadal took his match wins tally to a 43-6 record this year, including a 24-1 stretch on clay.
Earlier, American Bethanie Mattek-Sands and the Czech Republic's Lucie Safarova claimed their third consecutive grand slam doubles title with a 6-2 6-1 victory over Australian duo Ashleigh Barty and Casey Dellacqua.
Highlights from day 15 of the championships on Sunday (times GMT):
1540 NADAL'S THOUGHTS AFTER ACHIEVING 'LA DECIMA'
- "It’s really unbelievable; to win the 10th is incredible, it's very special," the Spaniard said after winning the final.
"I'm very emotional. I try my best in all the events but the feeling I have here is impossible to describe.
"For me, the nerves, the adrenaline I feel when I play on this court is impossible to compare. It's the most important event in my career, so to win here is something I cannot describe."
1525 RAFAEL NADAL WINS 10TH FRENCH OPEN TITLE
- Rafael Nadal breaks Stan Wawrinka to win 6-2 6-3 6-1 and claim his 10th French Open title.
- The Spaniard hit 27 winners to take the title in just over two hours.
1510 NADAL MARCHING TOWARDS TITLE
- Nadal takes 6-2 6-3 3-1 lead against Wawrinka after breaking the Swiss in the second game of the third set.
- Nadal is yet to drop a set at Roland Garros this year.
1445 NADAL WINS SECOND SET TO TAKE CONTROL
- Nadal is one set away from his 10th title at Roland Garros after taking a 6-2 6-3 lead against Wawrinka.
- The Spaniard took his winners tally to 18 and has won all 10 points at the net.
1415 NADAL BREAKS EARLY IN THE SECOND SET
- Nadal broke Wawrinka to take a 3-0 lead in the second set.
- The 32-year-old Wawrinka's unforced errors tally surged up to 20 during the first hour of play.
1405 NADAL TAKES FIRST SET
- Nadal won the first set 6-2 after breaking Wawrinka's serve for the second time.
- The Spaniard hit 10 winners during a scrappy opening set that lasted 40 minutes.
1350 NADAL BREAKS TO TAKE 4-2 LEAD
- Nadal broke Wawrinka to take a 4-2 lead in the first set after 34 minutes of play.
- Wawrinka fended off four break points against Nadal in the fourth game having had one of his own in the previous game.
1330 NADAL LEADS 2-1
- Nine-times winner Nadal saves a break point to lead 2-1 against Wawrinka in the French Open final on Court Philippe Chatrier.
1100 MATTEK-SANDS/SAFAROVA WIN THE DOUBLES TITLE
- Top seeds Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Lucie Safarova clinch their third straight grand slam title with a 6-2 6-1 win over Australian duo Ashleigh Barty and Casey Dellacqua.
- Mattek-Sands and Safarova, who also won the 2016 U.S. Open and the Australian Open earlier this year, are now one grand slam away from holding all four majors at the same time. (Compiled by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru; Editing by Toby Davis and Clare Fallon)