LONDON, July 14 (Reuters) - Seven-times champion Roger Federer beat 11th seed Czech Tomas Berdych 7-6(4) 7-6(4) 6-4 on Friday to reach his 11th Wimbledon final.
The 35-year-old Swiss, who is yet to drop a set in the tournament, will face Croatian Marin Cilic for the title on Sunday.
Seventh seed Cilic entered his second grand slam final after a 6-7(6) 6-4 7-6(3) 7-5 victory over American Sam Querrey earlier in the day.
The 28-year-old became the first Croatian to reach the men’s singles final at Wimbledon since Goran Ivanisevic in 2001.
Federer needed to come back from two sets down to beat Cilic in last year’s quarter-finals and is expecting another difficult outing on Sunday.
”Last year against Marin (Cilic) was brutal,“ Federer said. ”I got really lucky to win. He’s a lovely guy, I‘m happy for him he’s in his first Wimbledon final.
“He crushed me at the U.S. Open a few years ago. Hopefully, he won’t play like that again.”
Cilic’s only victory in seven matches against Federer came in the 2014 U.S. Open semi-finals and he went on to win his maiden grand slam title.
Highlights from day 11 of the Wimbledon championships on Friday(all times GMT):
- Seven-times champion Roger Federer beat Czech Tomas Berdych 7-6(4) 7-6(4) 6-4 to reach his 11th Wimbledon final.
- The 35-year-old Swiss dominated the match and finished with 53 winners after two hours and 18 minutes of play on Centre Court.
- Third seed Federer will meet Croatia’s Marin Cilic in the final on Sunday.
- Seventh seed Marin Cilic broke American Sam Querrey’s serve in the final game to seal a 6-7(6) 6-4 7-6(3) 7-5 semi-final victory on Centre Court.
- Cilic, the 2014 U.S. Open champion, recorded 70 winners to reach his first Wimbledon final.
I have mountain to climb against Federer in final, says Cilic
Cilic into final with hard-fought win over Querrey
Muguruza poses formidable final hurdle for resurgent Venus
Pencil me in for final next year, says defeated Querrey
Lack of discipline has led Tomic and Kyrgios astray - Rosewall
Hingis hails “amazing” Venus Williams for reaching final at 37
Compiled by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru; Editing by Ed Osmond