MINNEAPOLIS Authorities said on Thursday that searchers have found the remains of more victims in the wreckage of the bridge collapse in Minneapolis, raising the total death toll so far to at least eight.
One of the victims was identified as 47-year-old Peter Hausmann of Rosemount, Minnesota, who had been among the eight listed as missing and presumed dead following the August 1 collapse of the Interstate 35W bridge into the Mississippi River.
Remains of other victims besides Hausmann were also found, Minnesota Department of Public Safety spokesman Christine Krueger said, without being more specific.
The initial death toll within a day of the collapse was five, with eight missing.
Given the agonizing wait by relatives of the missing, officials have been careful about releasing identities and have sought to keep onlookers away from the site.
The bodies were removed and taken to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner.
Another eight injured people remain in hospitals.
Meanwhile, President George W. Bush at a White House news conference commented on the federal investigation into the cause of the collapse.
"The American people need to know that we're working hard to find out why the bridge did what it did so that we can assure people that the bridges over which they'll be travelling will be safe," Bush said.
Our top photos from the last 24 hours.