LONDON Young female acts dominated Monday's nominations for the BRIT music awards, with U.S. singer Lady Gaga taking on Britons Florence & the Machine, Lily Allen and Pixie Lott on their home patch.
The shortlist for the annual showcase of British pop music reflected a year when many of the biggest hits were by solo female artists at the expense of the indie band.
The awards ceremony, marking the 30th anniversary of the BRITs, takes place in London on February 16.
"The BRITs is the UK and Europe's premier music show and one of the biggest media events of the year," said Ged Doherty, chairman of the BRITs committee. "For the 30th BRITs show we're planning a landmark event that truly celebrates this occasion."
The flamboyant Lady Gaga and Robbie Williams will be among the acts to perform at the ceremony. Williams has already been selected for an Outstanding Contribution Award.
Also on stage for the show will be British boyband JLS, indie rockers Kasabian and, as a duo, grime artist Dizzee Rascal and Florence & The Machine.
The most nominated artists, with three apiece, are all female except for JLS.
Lady Gaga appears in the international breakthrough, international album and international female solo artist categories.
Lily Allen, Florence & The Machine and Pixie Lott are all up for British female solo artist, while Allen and Florence & The Machine are both contesting the coveted MasterCard British album award.
Despite the predominance of female acts, bookmaker Paddy Power has made Kasabian the favourite to win both categories in which it appears -- best group and best British album for "West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum."
"With Oasis now consigned to the history books Kasabian look set to step into their shoes as Britain's biggest band and we expect the Brit Awards to confirm that," said Paddy Power spokesman Darren Haines.
Following is a list of the BRIT nominees:
British Female Solo Artist
- Bat for Lashes; Florence & The Machine; Leona Lewis; Lily Allen; Pixie Lott
British Male Solo Artist
- Calvin Harris; Dizzee Rascal; Mika; Paolo Nutini; Robbie Williams
British Breakthrough Act
- Florence & The Machine; Friendly Fires; JLS; La Roux; Pixie Lott
- Doves; Friendly Fires; JLS; Kasabian; Muse
MasterCard British Album
- Dizzee Rascal/Tongue n'Cheek; Florence & The Machine/Lungs; Kasabian/West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum; Lily Allen/It's Not Me, It's You; Paolo Nutini/Sunny Side Up
- Alesha Dixon/Breathe Slow; Alexandra Burke Ft Flo Rida/Bad Boys; Cheryl Cole/Fight For This Love; Joe McElderry/The Climb; JLS/Beat Again; La Roux/In For The Kill; Lily Allen/The Fear; Pixie Lott/Mama Do; Taio Cruz/Break Your Heart; Tinchy Stryder Ft N-Dubz/Number 1
- Ellie Goulding; Delphic; Marina and the Diamonds
BRITs Album of 30 Years
- Coldplay/A Rush of Blood to the Head; Dido/No Angel; Dire Straits/Brothers in Arms; Duffy/Rockferry; Keane/Hopes & Fears; Oasis/(What's the Story) Morning Glory?; Phil Collins/No Jacket Required; Sade/Diamond Life; The Verve/Urban Hymns; Travis/The Man Who
International Female Solo Artist
- Lady Gaga; Ladyhawke; Norah Jones; Rihanna; Shakira
International Male Solo Artist
- Bruce Springsteen; Eminem; Jay-Z; Michael Buble; Seasick Steve
- Animal Collective/Merriweather Post Pavilion; Black Eyed Peas/The End; Empire of the Sun/Walking on a Dream; Jay-Z/The Blueprint 3; Lady Gaga/The Fame
International Breakthrough Act
- Animal Collective; Daniel Merriweather; Empire of the Sun; Lady Gaga; Taylor Swift
Outstanding Contribution Award
- Robbie Williams.
(Reporting by Mike Collett-White, editing by Paul Casciato)
Our top photos from the last 24 hours.