X
Edition:
United Kingdom

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Deals
    • Aerospace & Defence
    • Autos
    • Banks
    • Central Banks
    • Reuters Summits
    • Macroscope Blog
    • Business Video
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • UK Markets
    • European Markets
    • Market Analysis
    • Global Market Data
    • Indices
    • Stocks
    • Earnings
    • FXpert
    • Currencies
    • Commodities
    • Funds
  • World
    • World Home
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • Euro Zone
    • Germany
    • France
    • U.S.
    • China
    • Middle East
    • Africa
    • Russia
    • India
    • Japan
    • World Video
  • UK
    • UK Home
    • Economy
    • EU Referendum
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Media
    • Science
    • Tech Video
    • Innovation
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Analyst Research
    • Stock Screener
    • Fund Screener
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
  • Sport
    • Sport Home
    • Football
    • Formula One
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
    • Rugby Union
    • Sport Video
  • Life
    • Lifestyle Home
    • Health
    • Environment
    • Entertainment
    • Arts
    • Oddly Enough
    • Faithworld Blog
    • Lifestyle Video
    • Entertainment Video
    • Environment Video
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
Italian designers Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
Entertainment News | Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:07pm BST

Italian designers Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion

Italian designers Domenico Dolce (R) and Stefano Gabbana acknowledge the applause at the end of D&G Spring/Summer 2012 women's collection show during Milan Fashion Week September 22, 2011. REUTERS/Stefano Rellandini
Italian designers Domenico Dolce (R) and Stefano Gabbana acknowledge the applause at the end of D&G Spring/Summer 2012 women's collection show during Milan Fashion Week September 22, 2011. REUTERS/Stefano Rellandini
By Manuela D'Alessandro | MILAN

MILAN Fashion designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana were handed a 20-month suspended prison sentence and a heavy fine on Wednesday for hiding hundreds of millions of euros from the Italian tax authorities.

The design duo, who are nearly as famous as the stars they dress, were not present in court in Milan and will lodge an appeal against their conviction on charges that they have always denied.

"We will read the reasons for the verdict, and we will appeal," said Massimo di Noia, one of the pair's defence lawyers after the hearing.

Public prosecutor Gaetano Ruta had asked for a two and a half year jail term. However, the two designers will have to pay 500,000 euros (428,051 pounds) as a first instalment of a fine that could reach 10 million euros (8.5 million pounds).

A spokesman for their Dolce and Gabbana company declined to make an immediate comment.

The success of Dolce and Gabbana's sexy corset dresses and sharply tailored suits favoured by celebrities such as Kylie Minogue, Kate Moss and Bryan Ferry have earned them a glamorous lifestyle. In 2009 they hosted pop star Madonna, a friend and client, for her birthday at their villa perched above the chic Mediterranean resort of Portofino.

The case involves an investigation that began in 2008, when authorities tried to crack down on tax evasion as the financial crisis began to bite. But the Dolce and Gabbana inquiry is one of the few high-profile cases to come to trial so far.

The judge ruled that the pair sold their brand to Luxembourg-based holding company Gado in 2004 to avoid declaring taxes on royalties of about 1 billion euros.

Public prosecutor Laura Pedio told the court in her closing arguments that the designers were "well aware that they would reap a tax advantage from this transaction."

Gado is nothing but a shell company that took no administrative or financial decisions, said Pedio. "Gado is a radio relay station," she said. "The orders originated in Milan, and bounced from Luxembourg back to the Milan offices where the decisions regarding the brands were made."

DESIGNERS SAY THEY ARE INNOCENT

The pair's flamboyant designs are inspired by the island of Sicily, where Dolce was born in 1958. They showed their first collection in 1985 in Milan, the home city of Gabbana who is now 50. The brand took hold internationally in the 1990s and global revenues hit just under 1.5 billion euros in 2011.

The designers have always said they are innocent. "Everyone knows that we haven't done anything," Gabbana tweeted in June 2012 after the trial was ordered.

Gabbana's only immediate reaction on Wednesday was to tweet a photograph of the branch of a citrus tree, a symbol of Sicily which is the duo's signature, just seconds after the verdict was announced. A strand #freedolceandgabbana also appeared on Twitter.

(Additional reporting By Isla Binnie,; writing by Jennifer Clark,; editing by Giles Elgood and David Stamp)

Trending Stories

    Sponsored Topics

    Next In Entertainment News

    Celebrities join Native American pipeline protest in Washington, DC

    WASHINGTON Actors Susan Sarandon, Riley Keough and Shailene Woodley joined members of North Dakota's Standing Rock Sioux Tribe outside a courthouse in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday to protest against construction of a pipeline they say would pollute water and desecrate sacred land.

    Jennifer Lawrence ranked world's highest paid-actress for second year

    NEW YORK "Hunger Games" star Jennifer Lawrence on Tuesday topped a Forbes magazine list of the world's highest-paid actress for the second straight year, earning some $46 million, followed by Melissa McCarthy.

    Robert De Niro gets back into the ring with 'Hands of Stone'

    Actor Robert De Niro has re-entered the ring in the new boxing drama film "Hands of Stone."

    MORE FROM REUTERS

    From Around the Web By Taboola

    Sponsored Content By Dianomi

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • RSS
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Newsletters | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines | Delivery Options

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertise With Us
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • AdChoices
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy