March 31, 2011 / 10:15 AM / 6 years ago

NATO says investigates reports of Tripoli casualties

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - NATO is investigating reports of civilian casualties in Western airstrikes on the Libyan capital, but currently has no information that would confirm such reports, a spokesman for the military alliance said on Thursday.

"We are making inquiries to the chain of command to see if there is any substance (to the reports) but don't have information to corroborate (them). We will do everything we can to determine if anything did happen," a NATO official said.

Earlier on Thursday, the top Vatican official in the Libyan capital, citing witnesses, told a Catholic news agency at least 40 civilians had been killed in airstrikes by Western forces on Tripoli.

Reporting by Justyna Pawlak, editing by Rex Merrifield

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below