X
Edition:
United Kingdom

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Deals
    • Aerospace & Defence
    • Autos
    • Banks
    • Central Banks
    • Reuters Summits
    • Macroscope Blog
    • Business Video
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • UK Markets
    • European Markets
    • Market Analysis
    • Global Market Data
    • Indices
    • Stocks
    • Earnings
    • FXpert
    • Currencies
    • Commodities
    • Funds
  • World
    • World Home
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • Euro Zone
    • Germany
    • France
    • U.S.
    • China
    • Middle East
    • Africa
    • Russia
    • India
    • Japan
    • World Video
  • UK
    • UK Home
    • Economy
    • EU Referendum
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Media
    • Science
    • Tech Video
    • Innovation
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Analyst Research
    • Fund Screener
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
  • Sport
    • Sport Home
    • Football
    • Formula One
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
    • Rugby Union
    • Sport Video
  • Rio 2016
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
Rescuers contact 20 miners trapped in Nicaragua gold mine
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
World News | Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:49pm BST

Rescuers contact 20 miners trapped in Nicaragua gold mine

By Jimmy Sanchez | BONANZA Nicaragua

BONANZA Nicaragua Rescue workers have spoken to 20 miners still trapped in a gold mine after a landslide in northern Nicaragua, though seven are still unaccounted for, the government said on Friday.

Some 29 miners were trapped on Thursday, with two of them rescued the same day, said Rosario Murillo, government spokesman and wife of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega.

"Twenty of them are in a safe place and have asked for food and water," said Murillo. "Specialists are going to enter shortly and start the search," she added.

Julio Quintero, head of Nicaraguan miner Hemco, a unit of Colombia's Mineros S.A., said the mine in the Bonanza project some 260 miles (420 km) northeast of Managua, was closed about four years ago after being deemed unsafe.

Nonetheless, artisanal miners continued to work there against the company's orders, and Quintero said Hemco had continued to buy minerals from them until last week, when it decided it could not be sure where the product came from.

Artisanal mining is legal in Nicaragua, the poorest country in Latin America, where it is used as a way for more people to profit from the industry.

In a separate statement, parent company Mineros said the collapse occurred early on Thursday morning on El Comal mountain, 2-1/2 miles (4 km) from their mine in Bonanza.

The mine had been severely affected by seasonal rains in the past, the company said in its statement, with another landslide two months ago killing two miners.

"The rescue efforts are permanent and won't stop until we have helped the people who remain inside," the statement said.

The Bonanza project, which began in 1995, produces around 37,300 troy ounces of gold a year, according to Hemco's website.

(Reporting by Leslie Nicolas Lacayo, Peter Murphy and Gabriel Stargardter; Editing by Simon Gardner, Andre Grenon and Gunna Dickson)

Trending Stories

    Sponsored Topics

    Next In World News

    Turkey's Erdogan blames child bomber for attack that killed 51

    GAZIANTEP, Turkey A suicide bomber aged between 12 and 14 carried out the attack on a wedding party in the Turkish city of Gaziantep on Saturday that killed at least 51 people, the president said.

    Italy to hold elections in 2018 whatever referendum outcome - Renzi

    MARINA DI PIETRASANTA, Italy Italians will vote in new general elections in 2018 no matter how a referendum on constitutional reform turns out later this year, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said on Sunday.

    Yemen's ex-president says could work with Russia to 'fight terrorism'

    DOHA A newly-formed governing council in Yemen could work with Russia to "fight terrorism" by allowing Moscow use of the war-torn country's military bases, Yemen's former president said on Sunday.

    MORE FROM REUTERS

    From Around the Web By Taboola

    Sponsored Content By Dianomi

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • RSS
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Newsletters | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines | Delivery Options

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertise With Us
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • AdChoices
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy