PARIS Frenchman Richard Gasquet said on Monday he would be fit for Wimbledon next month after pulling out of the French Open with a knee injury.
The French number one, who was seeded eighth, said he had a cyst in his left knee.
"I have tried my best (to be fit) but I had this problem with my knee. I started to feel the pain on Saturday evening and asked for my match to be postponed until Tuesday but (the organisers) refused," Gasquet, a Wimbledon semi-finalist last year, told a news conference.
"I am extremely disappointed not to play here. However, I will play Wimbledon. The season is nine months long and only five have passed."
Bernard Montalvan, the French federation's doctor, said Gasquet would soon be up and running.
"We will puncture (the cyst) and inject some cortisone. Then he will need a week off, normally," he said.
Gasquet, scheduled to play compatriot Florent Serra in the first round on Monday, was replaced in the draw by Colombian Santiago Giraldo, who lost 6-4 6-3 6-2.
The 21-year-old Gasquet has had a disappointing season so far, winning 10 matches and losing as many, prompting a change of coach last weekend.
Organisers added that German Florian Mayer, who was due to play Frenchman Fabrice Santoro, also withdrew because of gastro-enteritis. He will be replaced by Russian Evgeny Korolev.
(Editing by John Mehaffey)
Our top photos from the past week.