* U.S. closes two banks in Georgia; one in Illinois
* 14 bank failures so far in 2011
(Adds closing of bank in Chicago)
WASHINGTON Feb 4 U.S. authorities closed two
banks in Georgia and one in Illinois on Friday, bringing the
number of failures so far in 2011 to 14.
In 2010, 157 banks failed and 140 failed in 2009. The
failures have increasingly been smaller institutions, with less
than $1 billion in assets.
The FDIC announced the following closures on Friday:
* American Trust Bank of Roswell, Georgia; had assets of
about $238.2 million. Renasant Bank of Tupelo, Mississippi,
will assume the deposits.
* North Georgia Bank of Watkinsville, Georgia; had assets
of about $153.2 million. BankSouth of Greensboro, Georgia, will
assume the deposits.
* Community First Bank of Chicago; had assets of about
$51.1 million. Northbrook Bank and Trust Co of Northbrook,
Illinois, will assume the deposits.
(Reporting by Tom Doggett; Editing by Andre Grenon)