MADRID - British telecoms group Vodafone has reached a preliminary deal to buy Spanish cable group Ono after raising its initial bid for the company, two people with knowledge of the discussions said on Friday.
Recent Business News
FRANKFURT - German carmaker Daimler said on Friday it intends to sell its 50 percent stake in its joint venture Rolls-Royce Power Systems Holding to its partner, British engineering company Rolls-Royce .
MADRID - Spain's government on Friday approved new rules to help struggling companies cut debt and avoid bankruptcy as the country heads into economic recovery with weak job growth.
FRANKFURT - Europe's banking sector needs to be cleaned up and companies' access to capital markets improved to support the economic recovery in the euro zone when it picks up speed, European Central Bank policymaker Yves Mersch said.
LONDON - Alliance Trust Plc, a Scotland-based investment manager, has begun preparations for a possible move to England ahead of the Scottish independence referendum, adding to evidence of corporate unease over the looming vote.
The FT's Michael Mackenzie reports that the amount of money borrowed on margin to buy stocks on the NYSE hit a new, nominal high of $451 billion. That's up 20% over last year, Mackenzie reports.
- Manufacturing and consumer spending edge up
- Is China’s red-hot housing market finally beginning to cool down?
- What we know about income inequaliy: America’s disappearing ‘middle-skill’ jobs and falling wages
- The end of the boom in emerging markets reserves
- Is the US labor market doing better than we think?
- US sees moderate manufacturing growth in January
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold falls more than 1 pct after upbeat US jobs report
- Oil Report: Car coolant rejected by Daimler is safe, say EU scientists
- British Pound Report: Sterling falls versus euro after bloc's inflation surprise
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Dollar rises from four-month low after U.S. jobs report