NEW YORK - A surprisingly strong U.S. jobs report on Friday sent bond and gold prices sharply lower and initially lifted equity markets, but mounting tensions over Ukraine led stocks in Europe and elsewhere to retreat, while U.S. shares ended little changed. | Video
Recent Business News
ZURICH - The only sure way for the Swiss National Bank to cool the booming Swiss mortgage market is by raising interest rates, the chief of Raiffeisen Switzerland said on Saturday, adding that greater self-regulation by banks would have little effect.
BEIJING - China's exports unexpectedly tumbled in February, swinging the trade balance into deficit and adding to fears of a slowdown in the world's second-largest economy despite the Lunar New Year holidays being blamed for the slide.
BERLIN - Germany's bank rescue fund Soffin could continue operations beyond its planned closing date at the end of 2014, a senior the German finance ministry official was quoted as saying in an interview published on Saturday.
BERLIN - Qatar Airways and Emirates Airline have defended their policies on pregnancy and marriage for cabin crew after the Qatar carrier came under fire over its working conditions.
The FT's Michael Mackenzie reports that the amount of money borrowed on margin to buy stocks on the NYSE hit a new, nominal high of $451 billion. That's up 20% over last year, Mackenzie reports.
- Manufacturing and consumer spending edge up
- Is China’s red-hot housing market finally beginning to cool down?
- What we know about income inequaliy: America’s disappearing ‘middle-skill’ jobs and falling wages
- The end of the boom in emerging markets reserves
- Is the US labor market doing better than we think?
- US sees moderate manufacturing growth in January
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold down 1 pct after U.S. jobs data; posts weekly gain
- Oil Report: Malaysia Airlines says "fearing the worst" for missing jet
- British Pound Report: Sterling falls versus euro after bloc's inflation surprise
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Dollar bounces off four-month low after U.S. jobs report