TOKYO - An index of Asian shares neared a six-and-half-year peak on Friday and was poised for a weekly gain, after upbeat U.S. economic data sparked another record close on Wall Street.
Recent Business News
NEW YORK - U.S. District Judge Thomas Griesa on Thursday called Argentina's proposed debt restructuring plan "illegal" but stopped short of holding the country in contempt, saying that would not help resolve the dispute that led to the nation's second default in a dozen years.
- U.S. federal prosecutors have learned that lawyers for General Motors Co were present at key meetings during which information about problems with some of its vehicles were discussed, a source close to the investigation said.
Wonkblog's Matt O'Brien looks at the current state of Europe's recovery and calls it "one of the biggest catastrophes in economic history."
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold near 2-month low; set for weekly drop on interest rate fears
- Oil Report: GLOBAL MARKETS-Asian shares hitch a ride on Wall Street's record
- British Pound Report: Battered sterling gains foothold, prospects in doubt
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Dollar rally pauses as Jackson Hole takes centre stage