NEW YORK - World stock indexes fell on Monday as a Federal Reserve official's comments added to investor concerns the bank may start raising interest rates in September, while oil prices jumped more than 8 percent, extending their biggest price surge in 25 years. | Video
Recent Business News
PARIS - A deal was reached on Monday to save hundreds of ferry jobs at the northern French port of Calais, the French transport minister said, ending a dispute that has disrupted traffic through the Channel Tunnel linking France and Britain.
- The European Central Bank may be running out of road.
BEIJING - Chinese authorities have taken Li Yifei, chairwoman of British hedge fund manager Man Group Plc's China unit, into custody to help with a police probe into market volatility, Bloomberg reported on Monday, citing a person familiar with the matter.
NEW YORK - Citigroup plans to rebuild its long-neglected equities franchise seeking to capitalise on a retrenchment by rivals in the face of new rules designed to make the financial system less risky, according to people familiar with the bank's plans. | Video
HONG KONG - The Chinese government has spent at least $70 million buying Hong Kong properties over the past 12 months, official records show, as Beijing expands its presence after mass democracy protests raised tensions in the China-ruled city.
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold rebounds on oil rally, awaits U.S. rate hike clues
- Oil Report: FACTBOX-Outlook for Japan nuclear reactor restarts
- British Pound Report: Sterling drops to 1-1/2 month low vs rallying dollar after U.S. data
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Dollar sags against yen and euro, off 1.5 pct in August