BERLIN - ECB Vice President Vitor Constancio said in a German magazine interview that he expected the inflation rate to turn negative in the coming months but added that if this was just a temporary phenomenon, he did not see a risk of deflation.
Recent Business News
LONDON - A "Black Friday" shopping frenzy pushed British retail sales growth to a 27-year high in December, according to an industry survey on Friday.
GENEVA - The European Union opened a new front in a decade-old dispute over aircraft subsidies on Friday, launching a complaint at the World Trade Organization alleging illegal tax breaks in Boeing's home state of Washington.
LONDON - The FTSE 100 headed to its biggest weekly gain in two years on Friday, led by recent laggards such as insurer Aviva and Tullow Oil as analysts recommended snapping up battered shares after a recent selloff.
PARIS - Engineering group Alstom unsettled investors on Friday by saying it will not be able to transfer to General Electric a looming U.S. fine over bribery allegations.
DETROIT - General Motors Co has developed contingency plans in case recalls of potentially lethal Takata-made air bag inflators widens, forcing the U.S. automaker to repair millions of vehicles, the company said on Friday.
In the weekend's Data Dive, we take a look at some games that promote giving and learning.
- The good news in ‘Afghanistan’s Marshall Plan’
- The oil train glut shows how little the Keystone XL pipeline matters
- A (very) brief history of television displays
- How record crops generate food inequality
- The world’s rising tides have something for everyone to worry about
- ‘Why women are stripey’ and other informational videos
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold below $1,200/oz on dollar, shares; heads for weekly loss
- Oil Report: Myanmar firm picks Puma Energy as jet fuel distribution partner
- British Pound Report: Sterling hits 3-week low vs euro as UK inflation falls sharply
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Dollar hits multi-year highs on extended Fed rally, year-end bets