LONDON, Aug 26 Sterling hit a three-week high against the dollar on Friday, supported by solid UK growth and business investment data and after Federal Reserve chair Janet Yellen gave no firm indication that the central bank would raise interest rates next month.
* New U.S. 2nd-qtr GDP growth estimate slightly weaker than expected
Aug 26 Speculators pared back favorable bets on the U.S. dollar for a fourth straight week, shaving net longs to their lowest in seven weeks, as investors remained uncertain on whether the Federal Reserve would raise rates this year.
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Dollar gains, U.S. stocks fall as Fed shakes 'complacent' markets
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Dollar up on Yellen's case for U.S. rate hike; stocks surrender gains
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Yellen's case for rate hike boosts dollar; stocks surrender gains
- CORRECTED-CEE MARKETS-Zloty, Polish stocks hit 4-week low on Moody's warning
WASHINGTON, Aug 26 Pakistan's continued support for resurgent militant groups hostile to the United States, coupled with warming U.S. military and business relations with India, is sharply diminishing Islamabad's strategic importance as an ally to Washington, U.S. military, diplomatic, and intelligence officials and outside experts said.