SAO PAULO - Seed giant Monsanto Co.'s unwanted takeover bid with Switzerland's Syngenta AG would face strong resistance in Brazil should it go forward, farmers and lawyers said, a hurdle that could delay or force major concessions to the $45 billion deal.
BRUSSELS - European Union competition authorities will decide by Sept. 4 whether to allow Dutch chipmaker NXP to acquire U.S. rival Freescale in a $11.8 billion deal.
- Jeld-Wen Holding Inc, a maker of doors and windows, is working on a potential initial public offering that would value the business at as much as $4 billion, the Wall Street Journal reported.
TOKYO - U.S. investment funds Blackstone Group , Fortress Investment Group and Elliot Management are among those shortlisted for the second round of bidding to buy Japan's Simplex Investment Advisors in a deal that could top $1 billion, three people with knowledge of the transaction said.
FRANKFURT - German chemicals group BASF has lined up a loan package from large multinational banks for a potential takeover offer for Syngenta, the Swiss crop chemicals maker, but will bide its time, several people familiar with the matter said.
NEW YORK - Petco Animal Supplies Inc has hired Goldman Sachs Group Inc to lead a potential initial public offering or sale that could value the pet supplies retailer at between $4 billion and $5 billion, including debt, according to people familiar with the matter.
MILAN - Investment group Exor , which controls carmaker Fiat Chrysler , said on Monday it had signed a deal to buy PartnerRe for $6.9 billion, trumping a rival bid from Axis Capital and ending a prolonged battle for the reinsurer.
- Pharmaceutical company Shire Plc said it had bought New York-based Foresight Biotherapeutics Inc for $300 million in cash, gaining access to a late-stage therapy being developed for the treatment of pink eye.
FRANKFURT - A consortium led by insurer Allianz will buy German motorway service station group Tank&Rast for an undisclosed sum, the insurer said on Monday.
SAO PAULO - Banco Bradesco SA agreed to buy HSBC Holdings Plc's Brazilian unit for a surprisingly high 17.6 billion reais ($5.2 billion), narrowing the gap with larger rivals while boosting its base of affluent customers in Latin America's largest economy.
- Finance: HSBC acquisition poses big test for Bradesco CEO Trabuco
- Technology: Star Wars meets Uniqlo as Fast Retailing, Disney expand product tie-up
- Healthcare: Healthcare deals lift July to 7th busiest M&A month on record
- Consumer: Third Point buys stake in Suzuki Motor, sending shares to lifetime high
- Energy: European regulators ask Halliburton for more merger information: company
- Industrials: NextEra Energy to buy Texas pipeline company for $2.1 billion
- M&A: PRESS DIGEST- New York Times business news - Aug 4
- Bankruptcy: PRESS DIGEST- New York Times business news - Aug 4
- IPOs: UPDATE 4-Seven years after bailout, Britain starts RBS sell-off with $3 bln stake sale
- Private Capital: CIT's Thain: financial companies without deposit funding face risks
- Hedge Funds: New Bank of England policymaker says to cut all hedge fund ties
- Regulatory: European Factors to Watch-Shares seen slightly weaker at open
- The end of coal? Alpha Natural bankruptcy points to industry troubles. - Christian Science Monitor
- Sale of RBS stake marks start of the UK's biggest privatisation - Financial Times
- Latest in 50 Cent bankruptcy reveals $8M shortfall - CNBC
- RANKED: The economies of all 50 US states and DC from worst to best - Business Insider
- CalPERS' private equity investing fees are expected to be 'ginormous' - Los Angeles Times
- Will the Fed's rate rise create more bankruptcies? - CNBC
- Origin Energy to reap $NZ1.8b from sale of Contact Energy stake - Sydney Morning Herald
- New Haven couple sentenced in federal bankruptcy, tax fraud case - New Haven Register