- Dollar General Corp raised its bid for Family Dollar Stores Inc to $9.1 billion, and warned it may turn hostile and appeal directly to shareholders if the new offer was rejected. | Video
LONDON - Vodafone shares turned higher late on Tuesday, with traders citing a Nikkei report suggesting the British mobile operator may become a takeover target for Japanese telecoms firm SoftBank .
NEW YORK/CHICAGO - Commodity merchant Cargill Inc [CARG.UL] said on Tuesday it was buying Archer Daniels Midland Co's global chocolate business for $440 million in a move to expand its production capacity in North America.
- Business software maker Compuware Corp agreed to be bought by private equity investment firm Thoma Bravo LLC in a deal valued at about $2.5 billion.
LONDON - Vale and Glencore have broken off talks over combining their nickel assets in Canada in a deal that could have produced over $1 billion in annual cost savings, sources close to the matter said.
LISBON - Banque Privee Espirito Santo, part of the Espirito Santo family's business empire, has told clients that there are potential buyers for debt issued by troubled holding company Espirito Santo International, a source close to the bank said.
- Software maker Compuware Corp , under pressure from investors for more than a year over its poor performance, agreed to be taken private by investment firm Thoma Bravo LLC in a deal valued at about $2.5 billion.
- Former U.S. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor will join investment bank Moelis & Co as vice chairman and managing director, the company said, adding that Cantor will also be elected to its board.
BARCELONA - Though speculation is rife of a new Pfizer bid, AstraZeneca's chief executive is not holed up with advisers in London or New York. Instead, he has spent the last three days immersed in heart science in Barcelona.
- Gifts retailer 1-800-Flowers.com Inc said it would buy Harry & David Holdings Inc , known for its gourmet food brands such as Wolferman's English muffins and Cushman's HoneyBells citrus products, for about $142.5 million.
- Finance: South Africa's Woolworths finalizes 9.98 billion rand rights offer
- Technology: Samsung Electronics says may acquire rest of Samsung Medison
- Healthcare: Australia says to sell Medibank in December listing
- Consumer: Norwegian Cruise Line to buy Prestige Cruises from Apollo
- Energy: Pembina buys pipeline to tap into Bakken shale production
- Industrials: Exclusive: Alitalia, Etihad deal likely to be cleared by end of year - source
- M&A: German retailer Metro to sell UK's Booker Group stake
- Bankruptcy: FEATURE-Last call at Atlantic City's Revel: a few bettors, $5 bottles, state cops
- IPOs: BRIEF-Metro sells its stake in UK's Booker Group
- Private Capital: UPDATE 1-Thoma Bravo to take Compuware private in $2.5 bln deal
- Hedge Funds: Risk-averse UK investors slash equity holdings in August
- Regulatory: U.S. judge dismisses FDIC lawsuit against banks over mortgage bonds
Free Deals Newsletter
- Detroit's bankruptcy battle begins - USA TODAY
- Jack Ma Times Market Selling Second Alibaba IPO in Rally - Bloomberg
- State official and regulator met cable execs on merger - Capital New York
- Vivint Solar IPO Rundown - CleanTechnica
- Compuware sold to private equity firm - Detroit Free Press
- 3 Ways AT&T's DIRECTV Buyout Might Fail - Motley Fool
- Telecom Italia Delays Sale of Stake in Argentine Business - New York Times
- Developers test market with 400-unit sale - RichmondBizSense