WASHINGTON - The United States filed a lawsuit on Wednesday aimed at stopping Electrolux AB from buying General Electric Co's appliance business, the Justice Department said in a statement.
- Swiss insurance giant ACE Ltd will buy upmarket property insurer Chubb Corp for $28.3 billion to get access to wealthy clients who pay higher premiums at a time when fierce competition has cut deeply into the industry's profit margins. | Video
MADRID - Power group UIL Holdings said on Wednesday it would quickly address regulators' concerns after its $3 billion takeover by Spain's Iberdrola was rejected by a U.S. antitrust watchdog in a preliminary decision.
- Medical device supplier Patterson Companies Inc said it would sell its business that makes products that assist in a patient's recovery to private equity firm Madison Dearborn Partners for $715 million.
- Chambers Street Properties said it would merge with Gramercy Property Trust Inc to create the largest U.S. industrial and office net lease real estate investment trust.
TEL AVIV - Teva Pharmaceutical Industries and Philips are together investing up to 100 million shekels ($26.5 million) over eight years in medical device and health technology start-ups in Israel.
SYDNEY - Canada's Brookfield Asset Management has approached Australia's Asciano Ltd with a $6.8 billion takeover bid, but uncertainty about whether the deal would go through capped gains in the stock price of the rail freight firm.
SEOUL - A court on Wednesday rejected a U.S. hedge fund's bid to block a shareholder vote on the planned $8 billion merger of two Samsung Group companies seen as a key step in the leadership succession at South Korea's biggest family-run conglomerate.
- Interactive Data Corp, one of the world's largest financial data providers, has hired banks for a potential sale or an initial public offering that could value it at more than $5 billion, including debt, people familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.
WASHINGTON - AT&T Inc's proposed $48.5 billion acquisition of DirecTV is expected to get U.S. regulatory approval as soon as next week, according to people familiar with the matter, a decision that will combine the country's No. 2 wireless carrier with the largest satellite-TV provider.
- Finance: Portugal gets three bids from China, U.S. for state-rescued Novo Banco
- Technology: German car parts maker Getrag in talks to sell stake to North American group: sources
- Healthcare: GE Capital CEO sees asset sale pace speeding up in third quarter
- Consumer: Peltz takes stake in Pentair, asks company to bulk up
- Energy: Legacy Oil + Gas shareholders approve sale to Crescent Point
- Industrials: GE to sell European private equity financing unit to SMBC
- M&A: BRIEF- Ferrero says offer for UK's Thorntons has become unconditional
- Bankruptcy: Bankrupt Baha Mar Bahamas resort 8-12 weeks from completion
- IPOs: Luxembourg Stock Exchange suspends more Greek bonds
- Private Capital: UPDATE 1-BTG Pactual fund CEO "pretty confident" of Ukraine debt deal without haircut
- Hedge Funds: Grexit fears risk derailing best start by hedge funds in 6 years
- Regulatory: AT&T's internet TV service to carry CBS channels
Free Deals Newsletter
- Go IndiGo: India's most-awaited aviation IPO is finally here - Quartz
- Chris Sale ties MLB record for consecutive 10-strikeout games - USA TODAY
- Deals of the Day: Ace Buys Chubb, Dissecting a 'Merger of Equals' - Wall Street Journal (blog)
- Oz, popular French Quarter dance club, declares bankruptcy, to be sold at auction - NOLA.com
- Kraft shareholders approve sale of company to Heinz - WPXI Pittsburgh
- South Africa Gets Over $1.9 Billion for Eskom From Vodacom Sale - Bloomberg
- NantHealth investment deal paves way for IPO - Los Angeles Times
- Regulators Scuttle $3B Merger Of Iberdrola, UIL Holdings - Hartford Courant