LONDON - Half of hedge funds now sell products traditionally the preserve of mainstream asset managers such as "long-only" strategies, a study shows, reflecting how conservative investors have come to dominate the industry's client base.
BOSTON - Emerging market billionaires, driven by vanity, easy money from the world's central banks and a quest for safe investments, are taking the contemporary art market to new heights.
LONDON/HONG KONG - Japan, a frustration for the world's sharpest hedge fund minds for more than a decade, is proving one of the industry's biggest winners this year.
LONDON - Hedge funds added to their performance gains in October as stock markets continued to rally, boosted by the United States avoiding a default on its debt and further signs the world's largest economies are growing, new data showed on Tuesday.
LONDON - Hedge fund start-up Rhodium Capital, run by former Bank of America star trader Iftikhar Ali, has begun life betting on a strong performance from corporate bonds over coming months.
LONDON - U.S. hedge fund Aurelius Capital Management, which will take a stake in Co-op Bank under a rescue plan for the British mutual lender, is also protagonist in a lengthy and bitter court battle over Argentina's debt default.
NEW YORK - Steven A. Cohen faces an abrupt end to his career as one of the world's most successful traders after his SAC Capital Advisors became the largest Wall Street firm in years to agree to plead guilty to criminal charges of insider trading, and pay $1.2 billion in fines.
LONDON - Britain's Co-operative Group has detailed a rescue plan for its banking arm, under which it will hand control of the unit to investors including U.S. hedge funds as part of a 1.5 billion pound bail-in.
LONDON - Hedge fund managers presented their stock-picking ideas at a conference this week organised by the Sohn Conference Foundation. The Foundation raises money to support initiatives to cure and treat paediatric cancer.
NEW YORK - Steven A. Cohen's SAC Capital Advisors will shut its London office by the end of the year as the hedge fund downsizes in response to a long-running insider trading investigation, according to a memo sent to staff on Tuesday.
- M&A: Russian diamond miner Alrosa's Q3 net profit down 4 pct
- Bankruptcy: Objectors in Detroit bankruptcy ask to appeal directly to circuit court
- IPOs: RPT-UPDATE 2-Australia's Nine raises $577 mln in closely watched IPO
- Private Capital: BRIEF-TDR Capital raises 145.2 mln stg from Phoenix Group stake sale
- Regulatory News: UPDATE 1-Indonesia signs first LNG import deal as consumption grows
- Special Report - Thailand secretly dumps Myanmar refugees into trafficking rings
- Anarchy at door, West starts to rebuild Libyan army
- Osborne to declare austerity push is paying off
- Suicide bomber attacks Yemen's Defence Ministry - source
- Bleak outlook for WTO deal as rifts widen over food subsidies
- Barclays spinout eyeing up to $1 billion for debut fund
- Biden says China's airspace zone has caused apprehension
- Biden calls for trust with China amid airspace dispute |
- S&P looking hard at UK rating after growth surge
- Thaksin's homecoming hopes dashed as Thai crisis reignites