LONDON - The dollar hit a 3-1/2 month high against a basket of currencies on Wednesday after a voting member of the U.S. Federal Reserve's policy-setting committee expressed support for an interest rate hike in September.
LONDON - Britain's top share index rose on Wednesday, boosted by better-than-expected results from Legal and General and London Stock Exchange, and by a rebound in the mining sector.
WASHINGTON - The International Monetary Fund should put off any move to add the yuan to its benchmark currency basket until after September 2016, IMF staff said in a report which showed a mixed performance of the renminbi on meeting key financial norms.
LONDON - The dollar rose to its highest in more than three months and U.S. Treasury yields rebounded from two-month lows on Wednesday, after a Federal Reserve official said the central bank was close to raising interest rates.
LONDON - Sterling was alone among major currencies in resisting a resurgent dollar on Wednesday, pointing to growing expectations that the Bank of England will follow swiftly on the heels of any rise in U.S. interest rates.
- Blair should stand trial if he committed war crime over Iraq - Corbyn
- Standard Chartered halves dividend, new CEO says could raise capital
- Turkey says coalition to launch 'comprehensive battle' against Islamic State
- London braced for second 'Tube' strike in less than a month
- UK services growth slips in July, hiring hits 16-month low
- India floods derail trains, killing 21 people, as focus turns to safety |
- Greece wants full bailout, not bridge loan, ruling party says
- China, ASEAN agree to speed up consultations on South China Sea Code of Conduct
- Coe says IAAF angry and betrayed over doping claims
- Analysis - Raising interest rates with zero inflation is a hard sell