LONDON The dollar held firm against most of its major rivals on Thursday after a speech by Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen halted its worst run in five months by promising a "few" rises in U.S interest rates this year.
LONDON The pound steadied on Thursday after a few days in which uncertainty about Brexit has seen both its biggest rise in decades against the dollar and two of its heaviest slumps in months.
SHANGHAI Short-term funding costs in China shot to their stiffest level in nearly 10 years on Thursday on fears of a cash crunch heading into its most important holiday of the year, but ended well off the day's highs as state banks stepped in to offer more yuan supplies.
LONDON Sterling fell on Wednesday as investors locked in profits after its biggest one-day surge since at least 1998 in the previous session when Prime Minister Theresa May outlined Britain's hopes for its exit from the European Union.
DAVOS, Switzerland Further sharp falls in the yen would be a concern for the Japanese government, William H. Saito, an advisor to the Japan government, said.
- May says Britain faces momentous change as it leaves EU
- Britain warns EU it will 'find ways' to compete if no trade deal
- Dollar bounces back, bond yields jump on Yellen's rate guidance
- Samsung chief staves off arrest, prosecutor keeps chasing
- Avalanche hits Italian hotel, many feared dead under snow |
- Malaysian PM tells Myanmar to 'stop the killing' of Rohingya, as Muslims meet
- Poland's priority for Brexit is to guarantee rights of Poles in Britain - PM
- West African forces poised for Gambia intervention as leader's mandate ends |
- China says can resolve trade disputes with new U.S. government
- Cheering better growth, ECB still to keep policy, stimulus unchanged