NEW YORK - A measure of equity markets worldwide hit record highs on Monday as optimism over Greece supported European stocks while U.S. shares added to last week's gains ahead of Apple results and a Federal Reserve policy meeting.
LONDON - The FTSE rose to a record high on Monday, led by HSBC, despite increasingly volatile moves ahead of next week's election, with opposition Labour policies announced at the weekend hitting housebuilders.
NEW YORK - The euro climbed to three-weak peaks against the dollar on Monday, on optimism about Greece's prospects after the government reshuffled its bailout negotiating team to forge a deal with lenders about more aid for the cash-strapped country and avoid a default.
LONDON - Brent crude reversed early losses to steady above $65 on Monday as signs that U.S. shale output may have started to decline offset the effects of a strong dollar.
LONDON - Sterling rose above $1.52 for the first time in seven weeks on Monday after a poll put the ruling Conservatives six points ahead of the Labour party 10 days before parliamentary elections.
- Nepal scrambles to organise quake relief, many flee capital |
- 'Pumped up' PM Cameron ditches suit to answer campaign critics
- Government warns off BP suitors now Shell unavailable as 'white knight'
- EU, Ukraine leaders meet as shelling worsens, one Ukrainian soldier killed
- Islamic State kills five journalists working for Libyan TV station - army official
- UK's biggest banks face further 19 billion pounds misconduct bill - S&P
- Mylan says Teva offer too low; criticizes stock, growth prospects
- Greece moves to sideline Varoufakis after reform talks fiasco
- Saudis pound arms depots in Yemen as bread, medicine run short
- Scottish nationalists eye 'enormous clout' in next UK government