LONDON Sterling hit its strongest in 12 weeks against the dollar on Friday, as investors sold the U.S. currency on expectations that the Federal Reserve will not hurry to raise interest rates in coming months.
LONDON A vote to leave the European Union in a June 23 referendum could cost each Briton around 45,000 pounds, or around half the value of the United Kingdom's housing stock, JPMorgan Chase & Co said in a research report.
FRANKFURT The European Central Bank would need the inflation outlook to worsen significantly for another rate cut, but pushing rates deeper into negative territory remains an option, Peter Praet, the bank's chief economist told a Spanish newspaper.
SHANGHAI The yuan lost some of its early gains against the dollar on Friday, as state-owned banks appeared to withhold offering dollar liquidity in the face of strong corporate demand and buying from market players taking profits, traders said.
WASHINGTON U.S. inflation barely rose in March as consumer spending remained tepid, making it less likely that the Federal Reserve will be able to follow through on its projected two interest rate increases this year.
- 'Monstrous' violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from truce
- Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead |
- Aviation industry seeks EU intervention in Britain-Spain row over Gibraltar airport
- British support for EU membership split 50-50 - ORB poll
- Britain praises Cuba's Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- Insight - How Barclays turned a $10 billion profit into a tax loss
- Rowing chief to lead investigation into British cycling
- Simulating Mars exploration, astronaut Peake guides rover from space |
- China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group - Pentagon