NEW YORK - Global equity markets rose on Thursday, boosted by solid U.S. economic data and upbeat results from some U.S. companies, including General Electric, while the dollar rose after a joint call by major powers for an end to the fighting in Ukraine.
TOKYO - The yen slipped to a 10-day low against the dollar on Friday after speculators unwound some safe-haven trades following encouraging U.S. economic data and on hopes for a diplomatic initiative seeking an end to violence in Ukraine.
LONDON - Britain's top shares rose to a one-week closing high on Thursday after upbeat U.S. results from Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs drove up financials and allayed investor concerns about the current earnings season.
LONDON - The yield on the first bond Greece has sold since its 2012 default fell below its issuance level on Thursday as Athens rejoined a rally in peripheral debt markets after a brief period of selling pressure.
LONDON - European equities finished higher on Thursday after losing ground earlier in the session, with upbeat results from major U.S. companies like Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and General Electric improving sentiment.
- Deadly gun attack in eastern Ukraine shakes fragile Geneva accord |
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts |
- Australia sees 'regroup' on Malaysian plane search in a few days |
- On Easter, Pope calls for end to war, condemns waste exacerbating hunger |
- Bankrupt British loans official resigns, embarrassing PM Cameron
- Former army chief, leftist are only candidates in Egypt presidential poll
- Air strikes in Yemen kill 35 al Qaeda militants in two days
- Search ends for missing on Everest, some Sherpas call for shutdown |
- Chinese admiral to snub Japan at regional meeting - Xinhua
- Abdullah widens lead in Afghan presidential vote - latest count