LONDON A fall in the shares of major banks and mining stocks kept Britain's top share index near three-year lows on Tuesday, as concerns lingered over the global economy and the health of the financial sector.
LONDON A drop in bank shares kept European shares under pressure on Tuesday, after losses in Asian markets sent investors scurrying for safe havens.
LONDON Another day of turmoil for European banking stocks drove sterling to its weakest in more than a year on Tuesday, trading at 78 pence per euro for the first time since January 2015.
LONDON/MILAN European shares turned lower in early afternoon on Tuesday to touch their lowest level in more than two years with worries about the impact on banks of sustained low interest rates keeping sentiment fragile.
LONDON Oil prices eased on Tuesday, dragged lower by a broad decline across major financial markets and by a growing expectation that global demand will not grow quickly enough to erase the overhang of crude any time soon.
- Nine dead, more than 80 injured in Bavaria train crash |
- Parliamentary committee criticises surveillance bill over privacy concerns
- UK trade deficit widens in fourth quarter, likely dragging on economic growth
- Man sets himself on fire outside Kensington Palace
- Taiwan developer in custody after deadly quake fells building
- Hong Kong riot police fire warning shots in bloody street clashes |
- North Korea turns to 'old workhorse' rocket to repeat past success
- IEA sees global oil glut worsening, OPEC deal unlikely
- Spain's Princess Cristina returns to court in tax fraud trial