NEW YORK - The dollar rose to its highest this year against the yen on Tuesday on strong U.S. manufacturing and construction data, while the euro slipped to a 12-month low on speculation the European Central Bank will move towards looser monetary policy.
LONDON - Britain's top share index steadied near a two-month high on Tuesday, with some caution before the European Central Bank's policy meeting on Thursday offsetting a rally in miners prompted by stronger metals prices.
LONDON - Sterling fell to five-month lows and the cost of hedging against sharp currency swings jumped by its greatest rate in three years on Tuesday after a poll showed record support for Scottish independence just two weeks before a referendum.
New York - The euro dipped on Tuesday to fresh one-year lows against the dollar on bets the European Central Bank will do more to help a wobbly euro zone economy, while the pound fell to a near five-month low versus the greenback on worries about Scottish secession.
LONDON - Sterling fell and the cost of hedging against sharp currency swings surged on Tuesday, after a poll showed record support for Scottish independence just two weeks before a referendum that poses risks for the pound.
- Islamic State issues video of beheading of U.S. hostage
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence
- Judge orders immediate release from Spanish jail of ill British boy's parents
- Dutchman praised for MH17 crash handling in race for top EU job
- Japan's Abe to co-opt rival, draft more women in cabinet reshuffle
- Ukraine rebels say they are poised to recapture Donetsk airport |
- Exclusive - Lloyds could move south if Scots vote for independence
- End of Gaza war doesn't translate into peace
- Liberian doctors strike, food prices spike as West Africa struggles to contain Ebola outbreak |
- Relatives of captured Iraqi soldiers storm parliament - witnesses