TOKYO - Japanese stocks soared 4.8 percent to their highest close since November 2007 and the yen skidded to near seven-year lows against the dollar on Friday, after the Bank of Japan surprised markets with fresh easing steps it called a pre-emptive move to stoke inflation.
TOKYO - The yen tumbled to its lowest level in almost seven years against the dollar on Friday after the Bank of Japan shocked markets by unexpectedly easing policy further, citing mounting risks it would miss its inflation goal.
LONDON - Britain's top equity index staged a late rally on Thursday to recover from losses earlier in the day, with wealth management group St James's Place outperforming after strong results.
NEW YORK - The dollar surged to a three-week high and government bond yields rose on Thursday, one day after the U.S. Federal Reserve took a more hawkish tone in its assessment of the economy as it announced the end of its six-year bond-buying programme.
LONDON - Sterling recovered ground against the dollar on Thursday, as the greenback paused for breath after rallying on a Federal Reserve statement that was more confident than expected.
- Kurds' battle for Kobani unites a people divided by borders
- Ukraine, Russia, EU agree to natural gas supply deal
- UK consumer morale edges down - GfK
- Clashes erupt as Israeli police kill Palestinian |
- Thousands denounce HSBC board member's likening of Hong Kong people to freed slaves
- Burkina president rejects opposition calls to step down |
- World Bank to cut 500 jobs in some units as part of revamp
- Labour faces collapse in support in Scotland - poll
- Citigroup sets aside $600 million more to cover legal costs |
- Iraqi Kurdish forces enter Syria to fight Islamic State |