NEW YORK - Equities markets rose on Wednesday, lead by gains in European stocks, and the euro edged up on signs, later dismissed, that Greece and its creditors were drafting an agreement that would provide Athens much-needed debt relief.
NEW YORK - The dollar rose against most major currencies on Wednesday, hitting an eight-year peak against the yen on expectations the Federal Reserve would raise interest rates later this year on signs the U.S. economy is recovering from an anemic first quarter.
LONDON - Sterling hit its weakest against the dollar since the aftermath of the UK's national elections on Wednesday, after a speech by Britain's queen to parliament set in motion a referendum on the UK's membership of the European Union.
NEW YORK - Oil prices fell by up to 3 percent for a second straight day on Wednesday as a resurgent dollar weighed on the market amid concerns that U.S. crude supplies may have started rising again after three weeks of draws.
LONDON - Britain's top share index bounced back on Wednesday from a two-week low the day before as acquisitions boosted Imperial Tobacco , cement maker CRH and International Consolidated Airlines Group .
- Britons to be asked in referendum to vote 'Yes' to stay in EU
- World football rocked by U.S., Swiss arrests of officials for graft |
- EU officials dismiss Greek statement on aid agreement being drafted
- May consumer confidence hits highest level in a year - YouGov/Cebr
- Exclusive - Russia masses heavy firepower on border with Ukraine: witness
- Seven out of 10 small UK firms looking to pay off debt - survey
- France warns Iran over nuclear deal as deadline nears
- Insight - All at sea: Australia's search for MH370 under scrutiny
- Blair to leave Middle East envoy post after years of struggling diplomacy
- Ex-Thomas Cook boss Green to donate part of share payout to charity