NEW YORK - A measure of global equity markets advanced on Tuesday as technology earnings lifted U.S. shares and the prospect of European Central Bank corporate bond purchases boosted European stocks, while weighing on safe-haven U.S. Treasuries prices.
LONDON - Gains in big oil companies and drugmaker Shire lifted Britain's top equity index on Tuesday, which extended a rebound after falling to 15-month lows last week.
NEW YORK - The euro fell sharply against the dollar on Tuesday after Reuters reported the European Central Bank was looking at buying corporate bonds as soon as December in its efforts to revive the stagnating euro zone economy.
PARIS - European stocks rose in early trading on Friday, halting the week's sharp drop after Wall Street pared losses as macro data soothed fears about the U.S. economic outlook.
LONDON - Sterling rose against the euro on Friday and looked set to post its biggest weekly gain against the common currency in eight months after a week in which growth worries - especially in the euro zone - have rattled markets.
- Britain to tighten charities laws to tackle terrorism funding
- Yahoo ekes out third-quarter revenue gain despite display ad weakness
- No Russia-Ukraine gas deal at EU talks; Moscow queries finances |
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- Islamic State advances against Yazidis on Iraq's Sinjar mountain |
- Insight - In Afghan north, Taliban gains ground and courts local support
- Former U.S. president candidate Hart to be representative for Northern Ireland
- North Korea unexpectedly frees American Jeffrey Fowle
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp
- Mentally ill Briton extradited to U.S. over alleged plan for militant camp