TOKYO - Upbeat Chinese services activity reports helped lift Asian shares on Wednesday, while the dollar was close to 14-month highs against a basket of major currencies after data underscored that the U.S. economy continues to gather gradual momentum.
TOKYO/SYDNEY - The dollar hovered at 14-month highs against a basket of major currencies on Wednesday, underpinned by stronger-than-expected U.S. data and a resulting rise in Treasury yields.
NEW YORK - The dollar rose to its highest this year against the yen on Tuesday on strong U.S. manufacturing and construction data, while the euro slipped to a 12-month low on speculation the European Central Bank will move towards looser monetary policy.
LONDON - Britain's top share index steadied near a two-month high on Tuesday, with some caution before the European Central Bank's policy meeting on Thursday offsetting a rally in miners prompted by stronger metals prices.
LONDON - Sterling fell to five-month lows and the cost of hedging against sharp currency swings jumped by its greatest rate in three years on Tuesday after a poll showed record support for Scottish independence just two weeks before a referendum.
- Islamic State issues video of beheading of U.S. hostage
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence
- Hong Kong activists say China 'brutally strangled' democracy
- Despite dangers, U.S. journalist Sotloff was determined to record Arab Spring's human toll
- Israel lobbies U.S. anew as another Iran nuclear deadline looms
- Japan PM Abe appoints China-friendly lawmakers to key posts
- Macau poll reveals democracy urges amid Hong Kong row with China
- Fukushima workers sue Tepco over unpaid wages, reliance on contractors
- Judge orders immediate release from Spanish jail of ill British boy's parents
- Ukraine rebels say they are poised to recapture Donetsk airport |