NEW YORK - Global equity markets dipped but remained near record highs on Friday after Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said she expected interest rates to rise this year, a view that lifted bond yields and was bolstered by rising core consumer prices.
- U.S. stocks ended weaker on Friday after Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen indicated that the central bank was poised to raise interest rates this year, in line with Wall Street's expectations.
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen was clearer than ever on Friday that the central bank was poised to raise interest rates this year, as the U.S. economy was set to bounce back from an early-year slump and as headwinds at home and abroad waned.
WASHINGTON - Rising shelter and medical care costs boosted underlying U.S. inflation pressures in April, a welcome sign for the Federal Reserve as it contemplates raising interest rates this year. | Video
NEW YORK - U.S. stock investors have been enjoying an extended period of low volatility and steady gains, but with the Federal Reserve on track to raise interest rates this year and major indexes near records, the market could get a bit choppier in coming weeks.
NEW YORK - Oil fell about 2 percent on Friday as a rallying dollar and profit-taking ahead of a long U.S. holiday weekend cut short a two-day run-up in crude prices.
LONDON, May 22 - The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index edged lower in early trading on Friday, with Cartier owner Richemont leading the index lower after reporting lower profits.
* Yellen comments leave rate expectations unchanged on Wall Street
LONDON, May 22 - European shares hovered near three-week highs on Friday as exporters got a boost from a weaker euro, although luxury goods stocks underperformed after Richemont warned that trading remained tough in major Asian markets.
* Market cap amounts to 118 pct of GDP (adds investor comment, background)
May 22 - Hong Kong stocks rose on Friday, buoyed by further gains in mainland China markets and expectations of fresh money inflows from Chinese investors.
Europe Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold falls as Yellen points to rate hike, dollar jumps
- Oil Report: Pipeline spill could further hamper big California oil projects
- British Pound Report: Sterling suffers a setback as U.S. inflation lifts dollar
- US Dollar Report : FOREX -Dollar rallies on U.S. price data, Fed's Yellen rate talk