U.S. shares closed higher on Tuesday as energy stocks rose along with oil prices after Turkey shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border. | Video
WASHINGTON The U.S. economy grew at a healthier clip in the third quarter than initially thought, but strong inventory accumulation by businesses could temper expectations of an acceleration in growth in the final three months of the year.
NEW YORK Oil prices jumped and government debt prices edged up on Tuesday as concern about global tensions rose after Turkey shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border.
SYDNEY The dollar nursed broad losses early on Wednesday as investors cut crowded long positions in the lead-up to the Thanksgiving holidays, and amid heightened geopolitical tensions after Turkey downed a Russian warplane.
SHANGHAI In a sign of growing confidence that China's stock markets are stabilizing, the country's securities regulator has lifted an order that required brokerages each day to buy more shares than they sell for any proprietary trading.
WASHINGTON The number of regional Federal Reserve banks pushing for a hike in what commercial banks are charged for emergency loans rose to nine in October, a sign the U.S. central bank may be close to tightening monetary policy, minutes from its discount rate meeting showed on Tuesday.
LONDON, Nov 24 European shares fell to a one-week low on Tuesday, with some disappointing updates from companies such as Zodiac Aerospace and Kingfisher putting pressure on the market.
* Dow up 0.11 pct, S&P up 0.12 pct, Nasdaq up 0.01 pct (Updates to close, adds commentary)
* Zodiac Aerospace slumps on earnings update (Adds closing prices)
TOKYO, Nov 24 Japanese stocks posted a modest rise in choppy trade on Tuesday to mark a fifth consecutive day of gains as investors waited for fresh trading cues.
Nov 24 Hong Kong stocks fell on Tuesday, led by resources shares after metal prices touched multi-year lows.
Europe Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold rises 1 pct on softer dollar, Turkey-Russia tensions
- Oil Report: Poor nations face soaring costs if warming limit exceeded - Oxfam
- British Pound Report: Sterling recovers some ground after BoE and US data blows
- US Dollar Report : FOREX-Dollar softens, commodity currencies benefit from oil rally