NEW YORK - Unless next week's payrolls report is an outlier, investors should expect a continuation of the directionless market that has kept the S&P 500 trading in place for most of the year.
LAHAINA, Hawaii - Pacific Rim trade ministers failed to clinch a deal on Friday to free up trade between a dozen nations after a dispute flared up over auto trade between Japan and North America, New Zealand dug in over dairy trade and no agreement was reached on monopoly periods for next-generation drugs. | Video
WASHINGTON - U.S. labor costs in the second quarter recorded their smallest increase in 33 years as workers earned less in commissions and bonuses, in what appeared to be a temporary wage growth setback against the backdrop of diminishing labor market slack.
BEIJING - Growth at China's big manufacturing companies unexpectedly stalled in July as demand at home and abroad weakened,
- Puerto Rico will miss a payment on debt due Aug. 1, the governor's chief of staff said on Friday, an event that will be considered a default by investors as the commonwealth lurches towards what could be one of the largest U.S. municipal debt restructurings in history.
LONDON, July 31 - European shares steadied in early trading on Friday after having risen in the previous three sessions, with some companies posting strong gains after announcing forecast-beating results.
July 31 - U.s. stocks declined on Friday as a drop in energy stocks eclipsed wage data that supported expectations that the U.S. Federal Reserve could delay an interest-rate hike this year.
* UCB, BNP Paribas, Natixis up after results (Updates with closing prices, writes through)
TOKYO, July 31 - Japan's Nikkei share average edged up in choppy trade on Friday as investors took heart from strong Japanese quarterly corporate earnings, while they took comfort from less volatile Chinese share moves.
HONG KONG, July 31 - Hong Kong's benchmark Hang Seng index ended higher on Friday, but an index tracking Chinese companies fell following ailing mainland shares.
Europe Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold rises after U.S. data, set for biggest monthly drop in 2 years
- Oil Report: UPDATE 1-UK's Serious Fraud Office investigating oil firm Soma
- British Pound Report: Sterling slips to two-week low versus resurgent euro
- US Dollar Report : FOREX-Dollar ends July on sour note on weak U.S. labor cost data