NEW YORK - A measure of global equity markets rose on Monday after strong U.S. corporate results lifted Wall Street, despite a quarterly earnings miss from IBM, building on positive sentiment that grew out of a surge in Japanese shares.
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks ended higher on Monday on investor hopes for a strong earnings season, but IBM's disappointing results limited gains.
NEW YORK - Major currencies traded in tight ranges on Monday with investors facing a dearth of new data and modest price changes in global markets, save for Japan where stocks rallied on possible public pension fund spending, which helped boost the yen.
CALGARY Alberta - Spot crude-by-rail volumes are down in Canada as traders and marketers including Glencore PLC are deterred by stronger heavy oil prices that have erased arbitrage opportunities to ship cheap crude from landlocked Alberta to higher-priced U.S. markets, industry sources said.
NEW YORK - Dan Fuss, vice chairman and senior portfolio manager at Loomis Sayles, said he purchased some below investment-grade credits during last week's sell-off at "reasonably priced levels," bringing his portfolio cash levels down to 22 percent from 26 percent.
PARIS - Struggling French nuclear engineering group Areva said on Monday its Chairman and Chief Executive Luc Oursel had decided to step down for health reasons.
PARIS, Oct 20 - European shares dipped in early trading on Monday as the previous session's sharp rebound lost steam, although takeover activity boosted the shares of Nutreco , Adidas and Havas.
* Dow up 0.12 pct, S&P up 0.91 pct, Nasdaq up 1.35 pct (Adds market close, volume, Apple stock price)
* Nutreco, Adidas, Havas surge on M&A activity (Updates with closing prices)
* News GPIF raising stock allocation to 25 pct underpins sentiment * Resignation of two cabinet members a big blow to Abe - analyst By Ayai Tomisawa TOKYO, Oct 20 - Japan's Nikkei share average surged 4.0 percent on Monday to post its biggest daily rise since June 2013 as investors took heart from upbeat U.S. data and the weaker yen lifted exporters such as Toyota Motor Corp and Honda Motor Co. Also underpinning the market was news that Japan's $1.2 trillion public pe
SHANGHAI, Oct 20 - Hong Kong shares finished slightly higher on Monday, underpinned by positive U.S. economic data and in line with regional bourses, but investors stayed cautious due to recent volatility.
Europe Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold up on physical bids, breaks 2-day drop; dollar down
- Oil Report: UPDATE 1-British Columbia to unveil details of new LNG tax this week
- British Pound Report: Sterling makes a good start to week, eyes on GDP data, dollar
- US Dollar Report : FOREX-Dollar extends modest losses, volumes wane ahead of data