NEW YORK - U.S. stocks were little changed on Wednesday, with the S&P 500 creeping up to another record closing high in a lethargic session, though a number of retail stocks traded heavily after reporting results.
TOKYO - Asian stocks crept up early on Thursday following another steady performance by Wall Street shares which hovered near record highs, while the euro clung to modest gains after rebounding from 13-month lows.
SYDNEY - The euro clung onto modest gains early on Thursday, having snapped three straight sessions of declines as feverish speculation of an imminent round of easing by the European Central Bank cooled.
WASHINGTON - Emerging markets took in only $9 billion in stock and bond investments in August, below the average for the past three months and lackluster even compared to prior Augusts, a global financial industry group said on Wednesday.
- The first interdealer trading platform aimed at opening up credit derivatives markets to new competition has hit roadblocks due to resistance from some banks that dominate such trading, according to several people familiar with the situation.
NEW YORK - Investors in U.S.-based funds poured $2.6 billion into stock funds in the week ended Aug. 20 on a rebound in risk appetite, data from the Investment Company Institute showed on Wednesday.
PARIS, Aug 27 - European shares were steady in early trade on Wednesday, pausing after their brisk 2-1/2 week rally, with data showing German consumer morale falling for the first time in more than 1-1/2 years denting investors' appetite for stocks.
* Dow up 0.09 pct, S&P up 0.01 pct, Nasdaq off 0.02 pct (Updates to close, adds quote)
* FTSEurofirst 300 ends 0.1 pct up, Euro STOXX 50 down 0.1 pct
TOKYO, Aug 27 - Japan's Nikkei share average edged up on Wednesday after U.S. shares extended their gains and the S&P 500 closed above the 2,000 mark for the first time. The Nikkei ended up about 0.1 percent at 15,534.82, after falling 0.6 percent on the previous day. The broader Topix also added about 0.1 percent at 1,285.92 after running into stiff chart resistance in the 1,290/1,300 zone where it has peaked a number of times in the past. The JPX-Nikkei Index 400 <
HONG KONG, Aug 27 - Hong Kong shares finished lower on Wednesday, hit by afternoon session losses as investors took profit on recent outperformers and sold shares in companies with weak earnings.
Europe Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold up for third day on softer dollar, geopolitical tension
- Oil Report: GLOBAL MARKETS-Asia shares up on steady Wall St, euro clings to slim gains
- British Pound Report: Euro recovers from two-week lows vs sterling after ECB comments
- US Dollar Report : FOREX-Harried euro gets reprieve ahead of inflation test