WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer spending fell for a second straight month in January as households continued to cut back on purchases, opting to save much of the massive windfall from cheaper gasoline.
NEW YORK - U.S. stock prices rose on Monday, with the Nasdaq composite touching the 5,000-point mark for the first time in 15 years, while the dollar hit an 11-year high on expectations the Federal Reserve might raise interest rates later this year.
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks advanced on Monday, with the Nasdaq nudging above the 5,000 mark for the first time in 15 years, as a round of mixed data pointed to a slowly accelerating economy.
NEW YORK - The dollar edged up on Monday, with an index that tracks the greenback against major currencies touching an 11-year peak even after soft economic data.
MADRID/ATHENS - Euro zone countries are discussing a third bailout for Greece worth 30 billion to 50 billion euros, Spain's economy minister said on Monday, but EU officials said there were no such talks.
NEW YORK - Brent crude tumbled more than 3 percent on Monday on speculation of a nuclear deal that could boost Iran's oil exports, and U.S. crude rose by around 1 percent as traders bet the gap between the two would narrow.
LONDON, March 2 - European shares kicked off March on a flat note on Monday, with a boost from merger activity in the telecoms sector offset by falls in media group Vivendi .
* Indexes up: Dow 0.61 pct, S&P 0.34 pct, Nasdaq 0.5 pct (Adds data)
LONDON, March 2 - European shares ended lower after setting new multi-year highs on Monday, with Greek banks slipping on lingering concerns about the country's debt and energy shares tracking a sharp decline in crude oil prices.
TOKYO, March 2 - Japanese stocks closed Monday's session at fresh 15-year highs after China's weekend interest rate cut bolstered risk appetite and as the yen weakened, but the gains were limited as investors were cautious of a potentially overheating market. The Nikkei share average ended 0.2 percent higher at 18,826.88, the highest closing level since April 2000. The broader Topix gained 0.1 percent to 1,524.97, with 2.17 billion shares changing hands, the lowest level in thr
Europe Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
- Brazil: STXNEWS LATAM-Eneva suspends debt-servicing payments for a month
- Canada: CANADA STOCKS-TSX steady as Valeant's climb helps offset oil-share drop
- Chile: STXNEWS LATAM-Chile's SQM plummets, trading halted after potash shakeup
- Mexico: Mexico stocks fall over 3 pct; lowest intraday level since April
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold turns down from 2-week high; traders eye U.S. policy
- Oil Report: REFILE-UPDATE 1-Dutch government says sorry for gas field causing quakes
- British Pound Report: Sterling retreats from recent highs as political risks weigh
- US Dollar Report : FOREX-Dollar nudges 11-year high as euro gives up gains