LONDON - Commodities revenue at the top 10 investment banks climbed by about a fifth in the first half of the year as a cold winter boosted business in U.S. power and gas and some investors returned to the sector, a consultancy said.
LONDON - Benchmark 10-year German government borrowing costs have never been lower, and while the prospect of them dwindling to zero and even below is highly unlikely, it is no longer inconceivable.
FRANKFURT - The European Central Bank expects banks to flock to its new ultra-long loan offering in September, regardless of the weak economic outlook for the euro zone, primarily because they need to refinance an earlier round of such borrowing.
LONDON - On most weekday mornings over the past year, Paris-based financial trader David Sibi has turned on a computer program designed to try and beat the U.S. stock market before it even opens.
LONDON - If bad economic news continues to translate into good news for investors, any sharp acceleration of the world economy from here could well kill off the long-running equity bull market.
FRANKFURT - The European Central Bank is in a policy no man's land, bombarded by news of a stagnating euro zone economy but hesitant to move forward with new stimulus until measures it loaded in June have ignited.
- British inflation eased more than expected in July after hitting a five-month high in June, official data showed on Tuesday.
LONDON - Europe's corporate earnings recovery has increased dividend payouts by the most in five years, data showed on Monday, and low interest rates and a further rise in profits should keep payouts flowing.
LONDON - The silver market enters a new electronic era in benchmarking on Friday after a regulatory drive for more transparency in price setting brought the 117-year-old silver 'fix' to an end.
SYDNEY - Chinese metals traders have opened offices and hired top talent in the Asian financial hub of Singapore over the past year, aiming to capture opportunities created by the exit of a string of Western banks from the global commodities trading business.
Europe Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
- U.S.: US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Wall St edges lower on Ukraine; data softens decline
- Brazil: Brazil iron miner MMX shares tumble on report may file bankruptcy
- Canada: CANADA STOCKS-TSX declines as TD, CIBC slip after results
- Chile: STXNEWS LATAM-Chile's SQM plummets, trading halted after potash shakeup
- Mexico: Mexican stocks fall back from over 8-month high
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold heads for first monthly gain since June on Ukraine
- Oil Report: Malaysia Airlines shares suspended pending announcement
- British Pound Report: Euro drops back to 2-week lows vs sterling on Ukraine news
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Yen firms on Ukraine tensions, euro braces for inflation test
- Ukraine president accuses Russian soldiers of backing rebel thrust |
- U.S. seeks coalition against Islamic State, but military partners no sure bet
- Scottish businesses split as Cameron makes case to stay in United Kingdom
- Turkey's Erdogan sworn in as president, consolidates power |
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll
- Consumer confidence rises more than expected in August - GfK
- Libya's government resigns to allow parliament to form new cabinet
- Brazil's Mantega says opposition win could wreck economy
- Video shows Islamic State executes scores of Syrian soldiers
- West Africa Ebola outbreak could infect 20,000 people, WHO says