LONDON As the Bank of England sends its strongest signal to date that the first interest rate hike in a decade is approaching, could Britain be heading towards its first sterling crisis in a quarter of a century?
LONDON Ahead of British PM Theresa May's much-awaited Florence speech on Friday, the Brexit noise is inevitably growing louder.
The Federal Reserve hopes to pull off the wind-down of its massive balance sheet with minimal market impact, but even a slow withdrawal may increase strains in a crucial section of the bond market. | Video
LONDON The gap between Portuguese and Italian 10-year government bond yields narrowed on Tuesday to levels not seen since the start of the euro zone debt crisis of 2010-2012, showing how much investor sentiment towards Portugal has improved this year.
LONDON North Korea's latest missile launch has sparked yet another round of international condemnation but in a pattern increasingly playing out in financial markets, investors already seem to have shrugged it off.
LONDON New European Union regulations on foreign exchange trading will make it harder and more expensive to manage currency risk, traders said, especially for large financial counterparties such as hedge funds and insurance companies.
LONDON In the decade since the collapse of Northern Rock crystallized the UK banking crisis, nobody would have made a single penny betting on the Bank of England raising interest rates.
MILAN The surging euro has played spoilsport with what had become global investors' top trade this year -- buying European equities - though for some recent weakness in stocks offers a chance to reshuffle portfolios and stay invested.
LONDON Sterling's bounce back to a one-year high against the dollar this week may be welcome news for the Bank of England, but not for UK stock market investors.
Foreign outflows accelerated in Asian equities in August as tensions in North Korea prompted global investors to book profits, but analysts predicted money would return on the back of positive earnings momentum and attractive valuations.
Europe Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold hits 3-week low; Fed rate hike outlook weighs
- Oil Report: Iraq launches offensive on Hawija, an Islamic State-held region near oil city Kirkuk
- British Pound Report: Sterling steadies ahead of retail sales data
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Dollar hits 2-mth high vs yen on heightened Fed hike expectations
- Mexico rescuers work into night to save trapped girl as quake toll tops 230 |
- Hurricane Maria clobbers Puerto Rico, plunges island into darkness |
- Norwegian Air still open to flight connection deal with Ryanair - CEO
- South Korea approves $8 million aid to North Korea, timing to be decided later
- Google to buy part of HTC's smartphone operations for $1.1 billion
- British police make sixth arrest in Parsons Green attack
- U.S. weighs whether to stay in Iran nuclear deal |
- North Korea's foreign minister calls Trump's U.N. address "sound of dog barking"
- Trump urges 'strong and swift' U.N. action to end Rohingya crisis |
- Florence declined and London may too, banks warn ahead of May's speech