WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve policymakers, already struggling to assure investors that they remain on track for a mid-year interest rate rise, will find the task has just become harder with their peers in Europe and elsewhere headed in the opposite direction.
TORONTO - A surprise move by the Bank of Canada to cut interest rates on Wednesday could reignite Canada's housing market and renew fears of a bubble, just as the market had finally begun to cool after a five-year run to record prices.
LONDON - The Swiss currency shock has raised an awkward question many investors have been fearful of asking - what if central banks become as unpredictable and fallible as they are powerful?
ATHENS - Timos Tzannes, owner of high-end watch and accessories stores in Greece, had last year pencilled in a 25 percent rise in sales for the upcoming fiscal year. He had planned to distribute bonuses to staff for the first time since 2008.
LONDON - The European Central Bank faces a crucial test of its resolve to do "whatever it takes" to preserve the euro when it decides this week on buying government bonds to combat deflation and revive the economy.
LONDON - The Bank of England will still raise interest rates from a record low this year but whether it does so in the third or fourth quarter may be too close to call, according to a Reuters poll.
LONDON - Currency investors have begun to protect themselves against the risks to sterling posed by the most uncertain British election for decades, having learnt a tough lesson in the run-up to Scotland's independence referendum.
NEW YORK - For only the third time since 2010, U.S. benchmark West Texas Intermediate crude traded at a premium to global marker Brent on Monday, restoring for a few brief moments what was once the normal hierarchy of the world oil market.
NEW YORK/LONDON - A slump in copper prices to their lowest in five years has pushed as much as a tenth of the world's miners into the red, but the market may not yet feel enough pain to trigger deep production cuts this time round.
Europe Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
- U.S.: US STOCKS-Wall St falls on miners, UPS; indexes up for week
- Brazil: STXNEWS LATAM-Eneva suspends debt-servicing payments for a month
- Canada: CANADA STOCKS-TSX ends day, week higher as investors cheer cbank moves
- Chile: STXNEWS LATAM-Chile's SQM plummets, trading halted after potash shakeup
- Mexico: Mexico stocks fall over 3 pct; lowest intraday level since April
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold slips 1.3 pct as dollar climbs on ECB move
- Oil Report: U.S.-China climate deal does not put pressure on India, says Modi
- British Pound Report: Sterling hits seven-year high vs euro as ECB unleashes QE
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Euro hits fresh 11-year lows vs dollar following ECB move
- UKIP could back Cameron's Conservatives after election - Farage
- Japan condemns IS execution, demands remaining hostage release |
- Suspected Boko Haram militants attack major Nigeria northern city
- Greek leftists Syriza aim for landmark election win |
- Protester killed on anniversary of Egypt uprising amid rising tensions
- After a bear hug, Obama irons out deals with Modi in India |
- President Poroshenko says de-escalation is priority in east Ukraine
- UKIP member defects to Cameron's Conservative Party
- Pro-Russian rebels attack key port; Ukraine says at least 30 dead
- Will return UK inflation to 2 percent within two years - Carney