NEW YORK - Some very big investors are betting on an upswing in two problematic parts of the world right now, Europe and Japan, their confidence bolstered by the brisk money-printing from central banks in both regions.
WASHINGTON - After months of focus on slack in U.S. labor markets, the Federal Reserve faces a new challenge: the possibility that weak inflation may be so firmly entrenched it upends the return to normal monetary policy.
LONDON - A dramatic upswing in volatility is putting post-crisis financial markets to the test, as curbs on banks' ability to take risks and an increase in technology-driven trading expose potential new cracks in the system.
BOSTON - U.S. corporate bond funds this year are adding Treasuries to their holdings at more than twice the rate of corporate debt amid concern that the struggling European economy and potential changes in Federal Reserve policy will drag down profits at U.S. corporations.
LONDON - Low-rated euro zone bond yields fell on Tuesday after several sources told Reuters the ECB was considering buying corporate bonds, quelling some concerns that the central bank was not doing enough to stoke inflation and growth.
WASHINGTON - When IBM Corp CEO Ginni Rometty was asked recently for her tips on how to transform companies, she spoke of "relentless reinvention" and not protecting the past.
CHICAGO - The largest U.S. grain harvest in history has pushed prices to four-year lows, which usually means a sales bonanza for the world's largest food exporter. Not this year.
NEW YORK - Measuring the point at which investors have exhausted their selling in a market downturn is an inexact science at best, and at its worst akin to sticking a finger in the air to judge shifting winds.
BEIJING/SHANGHAI - Chinese companies are on a pace to cut capital spending by around 7 percent this year, the biggest annual reduction since the global financial crisis, deepening an economic chill.
RIO DE JANEIRO - After five years of delays, cost overruns and rampant borrowing, Brazil's state-run oil company Petroleo Brasileiro SA is setting production records again.
Europe Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
- U.S.: US STOCKS-Wall St boosted by earnings, S&P posts best week in nearly two years
- Brazil: STXNEWS LATAM-Eneva suspends debt-servicing payments for a month
- Canada: CANADA STOCKS-TSX posts biggest weekly gain in a year as Agrium surges
- Chile: STXNEWS LATAM-Chile's SQM plummets, trading halted after potash shakeup
- Mexico: Mexico stock exchange resumes trading
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold posts weekly loss on dollar rise, strong U.S. data
- Oil Report: On eve of poll, Ukraine leader seeks support for pro-Europe course
- British Pound Report: Sterling up on UK GDP, eyes first weekly rise in four
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Euro rises on bank stress tests report, short-covering
- U.S., allies stage 22 air strikes in Iraq - U.S. Central Command
- Labour suffers setback as leader in Scotland quits
- Canada's Parliament Hill reopens following Wednesday shooting
- Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads - WHO |
- On eve of poll, Ukraine leader seeks support for pro-Europe course |
- Police seek motive in fatal Washington state school shooting
- Iraqi security forces, Kurds, gain ground against Islamic State
- Brazil's election too close to call on eve of runoff
- Iran hangs woman convicted of killing alleged rapist
- Coal mine accident in far west China kills 16 - Xinhua