WASHINGTON - AT&T Inc on Wednesday reported a rise in quarterly revenue, but the increase was less than Wall Street expected as a wave of subscribers plugged into the network using pre-purchased devices.
Wed, Oct 22 2014
SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp looks set to ditch the Nokia name from its Lumia range of smartphones just months after buying the Finnish company's handset business.
LONDON - A talent shortage in Britain's financial services and technology sectors has pushed salaries in the industry up by 2.6 percent in the last year, ahead of inflation and outpacing sluggish UK wage growth, research showed on Thursday.
BEIJING - Apple Inc Chief Executive Tim Cook discussed user data security at a meeting on Wednesday with a top Chinese government official in Beijing, the official Xinhua news agency reported.
- Google Inc launched an email service called "Inbox" on Wednesday that will better organise emails and display information such as appointments, flight bookings and package deliveries in a more user-friendly way.
BOSTON - The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is investigating about two dozen cases of suspected cybersecurity flaws in medical devices and hospital equipment that officials fear could be exploited by hackers, a senior official at the agency told Reuters.
- One of the few remaining examples of Apple Inc's first pre-assembled computer, Apple-1, sold for $905,000 (563,948.93 pounds) at an auction in New York on Wednesday, far outstripping expectations.
- Yelp Inc, operator of consumer review website Yelp.com, forecast current-quarter revenue below analysts' average estimate, sending its shares down as much as 14 percent after the bell.
- For two decades, companies that buy software patents to sue technology giants have been the scourge of Silicon Valley. Reviled as patent trolls, they have attacked everything from Google's online ads to Apple's iPhone features, sometimes winning hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Soaring demand for cloud services helped Canadian business software maker Open Text Corp's more than double its first-quarter profit.