- Claycourt machine Rafael Nadal recovered from a stuttering start to beat Russian qualifier Teymuraz Gabashvili 6-4 6-1 and reach the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters on Wednesday.
Recent Sports News
- Sunderland manager Gus Poyet has dismissed speculation suggesting he is poised to leave the relegation-threatened club after telling reporters earlier this week that there was "something wrong" at the club.
- The New South Wales Waratahs once again attempted to recall Israel Folau for Super Rugby duty, a week after the fullback was controversially pulled from the team at the 11th hour by the Australian Rugby Union.
LONDON - Arsenal striker Lukas Podolski struck twice in a laboured 3-1 win over West Ham United on Tuesday as the FA Cup finalists maintained their push for a Champions League place by moving back into the top four.
- Luton Town won promotion back to the Football League after an absence of five years without kicking a ball on Tuesday when they were handed the Conference Premier crown.
- Thousands gathered at Liverpool's Anfield Stadium on Tuesday to mark the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 of their fans died during an FA Cup semi-final, one of the darkest days in the history of English football.
First Jacques Kallis retired. Then Graeme Smith called it quits. In between, South Africa lost a Test series against Australia, their first at home since the 2008-09 season. What stares the Proteas in the face now, however, is a far bigger challenge than just replacing two great cricketers.