LONDON/EDINBURGH The Labour Party suffered losses on Friday in regional and local elections, especially in Scotland, but waited to see if it would, as expected, capture the big prize of London mayor.
- Italy rescues nearly 1,800 migrants in Mediterranean
- Islamist rebels seize village near Aleppo, 73 killed - monitor
- Trump, under pressure to unite Republicans, sharpens attack on Clinton
- Excalibur buyout team to meet banks over funding for Tata UK bid
- UK polar ship named after Attenborough but Boaty McBoatface lives on
BEIJING Apple Inc Chief Executive Tim Cook plans to visit Beijing later this month to meet high-level government officials, at a time when it is facing some setbacks in its most important overseas market, a source familiar with the matter said.
ATHENS Greeks started a 48-hour nationwide strike on Friday in anger at tax and pension reforms pursued by the indebted nation to qualify for more of a multi-billion euro bailout it signed up to last year.
BEIJING/SHANGHAI International criticism of China over the disputed South China Sea will rebound like a coiled spring, a Chinese diplomat said on Friday, as a U.S. warship visited Shanghai against a backdrop of rising tension in the region.
CONKLIN/LAC LA BICHE, Alberta The 88,000 residents who fled a wildfire that has ravaged the Canadian oil town of Fort McMurray in Alberta will not be able to return home anytime soon, officials warned on Thursday, even as the inferno edged slowly south. | Video