Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Video

Protesters killed in Guinea election crackdown

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 01:25

Sept 28 - At least two people are killed as Guinean police crack down on opposition protests ahead of parliamentary elections. Simon Hanna reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

Police armed with batons chase away protesters in the Guinean capital Conakry. Medics say at least two people were killed during a government crackdown on opposition protests. Leading opposition figure Cellou Dalein Diallo, who organised the rally, said there may have been more fatalities. (SOUNDBITE) (French) OPPOSITION LEADER CELLOU DALEIN DIALLO: "We have noted that the police have savagely repressed peaceful protesters. They used their weapons and there have been deaths. At the moment I am being told there have been three deaths but I'm waiting for the Red Cross and our health and safety services to give me a report with a more consistent figure." Tensions are rising in the West African state ahead of parliamentary elections the opposition says are being rigged in favour of incumbent leader, Alpha Conde. Critics accuse the government of tampering with voter rolls and installing an ally as head of the electoral commission. Last year Conde secured a narrow victory over rival Diallo in Guinea's presidential elections. Simon Hanna, Reuters.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Protesters killed in Guinea election crackdown

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 01:25