Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Video

Charlie Hebdo editor thanks Schwarzenegger, Clooney for support

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 00:35

The new editor-in-chief of satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo thanks Hollywood celebrities Arnold Schwarzenegger and George Clooney for their support. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) Charlie Hebdo staff gave an emotional news conference on Tuesday (January 13) to present the first issue of the satirical weekly newspaper to appear since the attack on its offices by Islamist militants last week. With demand surging for the edition due on Wednesday (January 14), the weekly planned to print up to 3 million copies, dwarfing its usual run of 60,000, after newsagents reported a rush of orders. International editions will be translated into 16 languages. Among the newspaper's new-found supporters were several Hollywood stars, said its new editor-in-chief Gerard Biard. "We thank all those who have subscribed, in particular Arnold Schwarzenegger (WINKING) who himself counts as 10 subscribers," Biard winked and told the news conference. "And We would also like to thanks Clooney, George Clooney, who can subscribe so that all the women in the newspaper can have his address," he continued to say. Actor and former California state governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has expressed his support for the weekly on social media. "I stand w/ the ppl of France against terror & I want to send a msg so I'm subscribing. You should too. #JeSuisCharlie," said a post on his Twitter page published on Jan. 8. Schwarzenegger, who founded R20 non-profit organization dedicated to low-carbon projects, had met French President Francois Hollande and his environmental advisor in Paris in October. When actor-director George Clooney accepted his lifetime award at Sunday's (January 11) Golden Globes awards, he used his acceptance speech to voice his support for the victims of the deadly attack on French newspaper Charlie Hebdo. "Today is an extraordinary day," Clooney said as he accepted his Cecil B. DeMille award recognizing his work as actor, filmmaker and activist. "Millions marched not only in Paris but all around the world, and there were Christians and Jews and Muslims, leaders of countries all over the world, they didn't march in protest, they marched in support of the idea that we will not walk in fear. Je suis Charlie." Clooney and his wife Amal both sported the "Je Suis Charlie" pin at the award ceremony.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Charlie Hebdo editor thanks Schwarzenegger, Clooney for support

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 00:35