Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Video

Romney says no to 2016 White House bid

Friday, January 30, 2015 - 01:01

Republican Mitt Romney says he will not run for president in 2016. Linda So reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

Mitt Romney has decided he will not run for president in 2016. During a conference call to supporters on Friday, the former Massachusetts governor and two-time Republican presidential candidate said, "I've decided it is best to give other leaders in the Party the opportunity to become our next nominee." He went on to say, "I believe a Republican winning back the White House is essential for our country, and I will do whatever I can to make that happen." In recent weeks, Romney had been testing the waters for another presidential run after he was defeated by Obama in 2012. On Wednesday, he visited Mississippi State University. In the closely watched speech, he talked about tackling poverty, a stark change from his 2012 candidacy when he was dragged down by his wealthy image. Romney is leaving a crowded field of potential Republican presidential contenders including former Florida Governor Jeb Bush. More than a dozen other Republicans are considering the party's 2016 nomination.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Romney says no to 2016 White House bid

Friday, January 30, 2015 - 01:01