Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Video

Children's march marks first anniversary of Nigeria girls' abduction

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:31

Young women and girls march in the Nigerian capital to mark one year since more than 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped by Islamist militants. Mana Rabiee reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

A children's march in the Nigerian capital Abuja ... to mark the first anniversary of a mass kidnapping of schoolgirls by Islamist militants. They marched to the Ministry of Education ... to remember the more than 200 girls who were taken from their secondary school in the country's northeast last April by Boko Haram fighters. (SOUNDBITE) (English) CHIBOK GIRL AMBASSADOR, NAOMI MADU, SAYING: "I feel proud that I can represent something so powerful for these girls because they need all the support they can get right now." The girl's adduction drew international condemnation of the Islamist group, who, according to Amnesty International, have kidnapped at least 2,000 girls and women since the start of last year... ... turning them, it said, into cooks, sex slaves and fighters... and sometimes killing those who refused to comply. Among the marchers was Enock Mark, whose daughter was among those abducted. His life, he says, has been turned upside down. (SOUNDBITE) (English) PARENT OF ABDUCTED GIRL, ENOCH MARK, SAYING: "We are all so uncomfortable. My wife now, she is under treatment ... almost we are walking with drugs in our hands. We chew drugs like food now, we take drugs now more than the food or water we take since our daughter was abducted." Nigeria's President-elect Muhammadu Buhari has vowed to do everything possible to bring home the missing girls... but admits it's not clear that they can ever be found,

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Children's march marks first anniversary of Nigeria girls' abduction

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:31