Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Video

French national guard to be strengthened to 84,000 by 2019 - Cazeneuve

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 00:56

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve says that the national guard will be strengthened to 84,000 by 2019. Rough Cut - subtitled (no reporter narration).

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

ROUGH CUT - SUBTITLED (NO REPORTER NARRATION) French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve announced that the country's National Guard will be strengthened to 84,000 by 2019, after cabinet and defense council meetings on Wednesday (August 3). He said that the increase would be done in a "precise and timed" manner, with 40,000 going to defense and 44,000 to the interior ministry. After last month's truck attack in Nice that killed 84 people, French President Francois Hollande said he wanted to build a National Guard, made up of operational reserves, to counter the threat of terrorism. France's operational military reserve will relieve stretched security forces who have amassed overtime following three major Islamic militant attacks in France since January 2015. Cazeneuve also described the effect of security measures since the beginning of this year. "Since the beginning of 2016 we have made 165 arrests, 91 people under investigation, 63 incarcerations, 25 placed under judicial supervision, and since July 31, on six important files representing significant threats, it's five incarcerations and four held in custody which are ongoing," he said.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

French national guard to be strengthened to 84,000 by 2019 - Cazeneuve

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 00:56