MILAN, Feb 28 (Reuters) - Italy’s northern Lombardy region said on Friday it would ask the government to keep preventative measures adopted against the coronavirus outbreak in operation for at least another week.
“Lombardy will propose to the government to maintain for another week the containment measures already implemented... with some mitigation,” said Giulio Gallera, a member of the regional government.
He added that a total of 531 people had tested positive in Lombardy since last Friday.
After the first cases were confirmed last week, the government placed some 50,000 people living in 10 Lombardy towns under quarantine, along with a raft of less draconian measures across the region. (Reporting by Elvira Pollina, writing by Angelo Amante, editing by Gavin Jones)