(Corrects paragraph 2 to show rise would be 4th, not 3rd)
SINGAPORE, May 21 (Reuters) - Copper prices rose on Thursday, with London copper hitting a more than two-month high, as hopes of a swift recovery in the global economy pushed equities higher and boosted risk sentiment.
Three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange (LME) rose 0.1% to $5,446 a tonne by 0226 GMT, on track to gain for the fourth straight day. Earlier in the session, the contract had hit $5,464 a tonne, its highest since March 13.
The most-traded July copper contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange (ShFE) advanced 1.5% to 44,340 yuan ($6,241.20) a tonne.
Asian shares were poised to open higher after global equities and crude prices rallied overnight on hopes of a rapid economic recovery and government support.
* CHINA COPPER: Global copper smelting recovered in April due to renewed activity in China and has been even stronger so far in May, an index based on satellite surveillance of copper plants showed.
* ZINC & LEAD: The global zinc market recorded a 47,300-tonne surplus in March while the global lead market’s surplus narrowed to 14,200 tonnes in the same month, data from the International Lead and Zinc Study Group showed.
* OTHER PRICES: LME nickel rose 0.3% to $12,710 a tonne, tin advanced 0.9% to $15,600 a tonne and aluminium was up 0.1% to $1,514.50 a tonne.
* SHANGHAI PRICES: ShFE aluminium rose to a near 11-week high of 13,020 yuan a tonne, nickel jumped 2.5% to 105,070 yuan a tonne, while zinc fell 0.6% to 16,705 yuan a tonne.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click or
0715 France Markit Mfg, services, comp flash PMI May
0730 Germany Markit Mfg, services, comp flash PMI May
0800 EU Markit Mfg, services, comp flash PMI May
0830 UK Flash composite, Mfg, services PMI May
1230 US Initial jobless claims Weekly
1230 US Philly Fed business index May
1345 US Markit Mfg, services, comp flash PMI May
1400 US Existing home sales April
1830 US Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell gives
remarks in an online event, “Fed Listens: How
is COVID-19 Affecting your Community?”
Three month LME copper
Most active ShFE copper
Three month LME aluminium
Most active ShFE aluminium
Three month LME zinc
Most active ShFE zinc
Three month LME lead
Most active ShFE lead
Three month LME nickel
Most active ShFE nickel
Three month LME tin
Most active ShFE tin
ARBS ($1 = 7.1044 yuan) (Reporting by Mai Nguyen; editing by Uttaresh.V)