PALM DESERT, California, Jan 17 (Reuters) - Stewart Cink, one of four players on the PGA Tour’s policy board, is upset some of his peers have criticised the Tour’s new cut system implemented for this season.
The revised cut policy, approved by the board last November, came under fire at last week’s Sony Open with twice major winner John Daly describing it as a “stupid rule”.
Eighty-seven players made the Sony Open cut at level-par 140, but only 69 qualified for the weekend on one-under or better under regulations introduced to limit the field size for the last two rounds.
“It’s frustrating to me knowing that I put in a lot of time personally into decision making with the policy board,” Cink told Reuters after Thursday’s second round at the Bob Hope Classic.
“It’s also frustrating for Joe Ogilvie and Brad Faxon and David Toms, and also our independent directors,” the 34-year-old American added, referring to his colleagues on the Tour’s policy board.
“We put a lot time into these decisions, there’s a lot of study that goes on and then when something comes around, a lot of players blow the whistle and say: ‘Hey, we didn’t know.’
“Well I don’t know what else we can do. We tried to notify everybody in at least three or four different ways, and that includes managers and spouses.
“Somebody needs to get the message to these players of the changes that are going on on their tour. It is their tour. It is very frustrating.”
The PGA Tour’s policy board approved a change whereby the top 70 players and ties will still make the tournament cut unless the weekend field exceeds 78 players. In that scenario, the cut would be made to the number closest to 70 players.
U.S. Open champion Angel Cabrera of Argentina and Daly were among those who failed to advance at last week’s Sony Open after finishing at even par.
“It’s a stupid rule, I’m sorry,” Daly told the Golf Channel. (Editing by Martin Petty)