Feb 3 (Reuters) - Johnston Press Plc :
* Trading statement
* Confirms that trading for 52 weeks to 31 December 2016 (subject to audit) has been broadly in line with board’s expectations
* Total revenues 1 (after benefit of i newspaper) were down 6 pct.
* After a period of difficult trading in summer prompted by brexit-related uncertainty, trading improved in q4 as a result of both strategic initiatives implemented during h1 2016 and signs of improving business confidence. Q4 total revenues 1 were up 1 pct compared to equivalent quarter
* Q4 total revenues 1 were up 1 pct compared to equivalent quarter last year, driven by a strong performance from i as well as other key titles such as yorkshire post
* This compares to a 5 pct decline in q3, in immediate aftermath of brexit vote.
* News publishing market continues to suffer from severe headwinds of falling advertising revenues (particularly classified advertising) and print circulation
* Total advertising revenue (excluding classifieds) 2 fell 7 pct in q3 compared to equivalent quarter last year, improving to down 3 pct in q4
* Excluding i, total advertising revenue (excluding classifieds) declined 9.7 pct for year, having declined 12 pct in q3, while improving to a 7 pct decline in q4 Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage: (Bengaluru Newsroom: +91 80 6749 1136)