ROME, March 18 (Reuters) - Fears that plans to stage a street race in Rome would threaten the future of the Italian Grand Prix at Monza eased on Thursday when the track announced it had extended its Formula One deal until 2016.
“The Italian Grand Prix will be at Monza until 2016,” Claudio Vigano, the head of SIAS, the company that controls the circuit, told reporters. “The extension of the contract has been signed.”
The sport’s commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone said in January that an agreement had been signed to hold a grand prix in Rome in the coming years, without giving a date.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.