(Adds Autostrade statement)
MILAN, Dec 27 (Reuters) - The Italian transport ministry and officials from motorway operator Autostrade per L’Italia discussed safety issues on the road network on Friday, the ministry said.
In a statement it said it had asked Autostrade, a unit of infrastructure group Atlantia which has been under intense scrutiny since the deadly collapse of a bridge in Genoa in 2018, to tackle problems on the network and in particular in the regions of Liguria, Marche and Abruzzo.
Autostrade, in a separate statement, said that as requested by the ministry, it had decided to extend a freeze on toll road tariffs - which had already been in place for this year - beyond the end of 2019.
Reporting by Silvia Aloisi and Andrea Mandala Editing by Chris Reese and Chizu Nomiyama