NEW YORK, Aug 6 (Reuters) - U.S. gold futures rose above $970 an ounce Thursday as quantitative easing measures by central banks stoked inflation worries, but traders said the metal could still correct due to a stronger dollar amid light volume.
For the latest detailed report, click on [GOL/].
* December gold GCZ9 up $4.30 at $970.60 an ounce at 9:30 a.m. EDT (1330 GMT) on the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange.
* Ranging from $974.30 to $961.30 an ounce.
* Gold rose further after the Bank of England took a far bigger step than expected to boost Britain's recession-hit economy, stunning markets by expanding its quantitative easing plan to 175 billion pounds from 125 billion. [ID:nL6430949]
* The European Central Bank kept interest rates on hold at a record low, and that also boosted gold's appeal as an inflation hedge.
* Monetary easing by global central banks, combined with better economic sentiment, have sent the price of gold sharply higher. The metal had been heavily pressured by deflation fears earlier this year.
* Bullion investors are still anxious to be on the long side of the market, but gold futures are ripe for a minor correction due to liquidation by short-term traders and a stronger U.S. dollar - George Nickas, commodities broker at FC Stone.
* Gold/oil ratio at 13.55, higher than 13.43 from the previous session
* COMEX estimated 9 a.m. gold volume at 41,865 lots.
* Spot gold XAU= at $967.70 an ounce at 9:30 a.m., compared with $961.95 an ounce in late New York business on Wednesday.
* London morning gold fix XAUFIX= at $960.75 an ounce.
* September silver SIU9 up 18.0 cents, or 1.2 percent, at $14.940 an ounce, tracking gold's gains.
* Ranging from $14.585 to $15.035 an ounce, the loftiest level since June 12.
* COMEX estimated 9 a.m. silver volume at 24,602 lots.
* Spot silver XAG= was at $14.93 an ounce versus $14.64 an ounce in Wednesday's late quote.
* London silver fix XAGFIX= at $14.67 an ounce.
* October platinum PLV9 down $11.60 at $1,281.50 an ounce on profit taking after Wednesday's rally driven by supply worries from top producer South Africa.
* South Africa's biggest union said its members planned to strike at power firm Eskom [ESCJ.UL] next week, raising the threat of electricity disruptions in the country, which is also a major gold supplier. [ID:nL5252552]
* Spot platinum XPT= at $1,276.50 versus $1,282.50.
* September palladium PAU9 down $3.25 at $275.95 an ounce, tracking platinum.
* Spot palladium XPD= at $272.00, against its previous finish of $273. Prices at 9:29 a.m. EDT (1329 GMT)
Last Change Pct 2008 YTD
Chg Close % Chg US gold GCZ9 970.50 4.20 0.4 884.30 9.7 US silver SIU9 14.945 0.185 1.3 11.295 32.3 US platinum PLV9 1283.00 -10.10 -0.8 941.50 36.3 US palladium PAU9 275.00 -4.20 -1.5 188.70 45.7 Gold XAU= 967.70 5.75 0.6 878.200 10.2 Silver XAG= 14.92 0.28 1.9 11.30 32.0 Platinum XPT= 1276.50 -6.00 -0.5 924.50 38.1 Palladium XPD= 272.00 -1.00 -0.4 184.50 47.4 Gold Fix XAUFIX= 960.75 0.00 0.0 836.50 14.9 Silver Fix XAGFIX= 14.670 0.000 0.0 14.760 -0.6 Platinum Fix XPTFIX= 1286.00 0.00 0.0 1529.00 -15.9 Palladium Fix XPDFIX= 280.00 0.00 0.0 365.00 -23.3 (Reporting by Frank Tang; editing by Jim Marshall)