LONDON, July 24 (Reuters) -
* Consultants Wood Mackenzie estimate electric vehicle (EV) sales including hybrid electric vehicles (HEV) were up more than 24% last year
* Wood Mackenzie expects global electric vehicle sales with a plug to account for 7% of all passenger car sales by 2025, 14% by 2030 and 38% by 2040.
* Battery materials -- cobalt, lithium and nickel -- could face a supply crunch by mid 2020s.
* Cobalt market will see an oversupply of intermediate products such as hydroxide until at least 2024.
* Battery sector will make up more than 80% of total lithium demand by 2030.
* Investment in new nickel projects is hindered by low prices, but needs to start now as mines can take up to 10 years to develop. (Reporting by Pratima Desai; editing by Louise Heavens)
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.