March 11, 2010 / 5:13 PM / 10 years ago

Motor racing-USF1 could face sanctions for absence

MANAMA, March 11 (Reuters) - Formula One’s governing body left the door open to sanctions against the USF1 team on Thursday for their non-participation in this year’s championship.

The North Carolina-based operation were due to enter as one of four all-new teams but admitted failure last month when they said they would not be ready and asked the International Automobile Federation (FIA) to suspend their debut for a year.

The FIA said in a statement after a meeting of its World Motor Sport Council before the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix that the team had been discussed.

“With regard to the USF1 team’s non-participation in the 2010 championship, the world council mandated the FIA president, in full compliance with the new code of practice for disciplinary matters, to take forward the most appropriate action,” it said.

A spokesman could not say what action might be taken.

The FIA said the world council had also approved a new selection process for a potential 13th entry, and reserve 14th team, in 2011.

Under new disciplinary procedures, following the controversial banning of former Renault boss Flavio Briatore which was successfully appealed by the Italian, FIA president Jean Todt must conduct enquiries and act as prosecution.

The judging body of the world motor sport council will then make a decision in the absence of the FIA president.

Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ed Osmond, To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below