April 19, 2019 / 9:35 AM / 2 months ago

HIGHLIGHTS-Super Rugby week 10

April 20 (Reuters) - Highlights from Super Rugby week 10 games:


Number eight Peter Samu and lock Rory Arnold scored early tries as the ACT Brumbies claimed a deserved victory over an error-prone Stormers at Newlands on Saturday.

The pair crossed the line inside the opening 10 minutes to seize the initiative and then weathered a period of sustained pressure from the home side, who saw plenty of the ball but lacked the execution to turn it into points.

The Stormers were awarded a penalty try after the halftime whistle as wing Toni Pulu’s high tackle on scrumhalf Hershel Jantjies on the tryline was at first not spotted by referee Nick Briant but was later awarded on review, with the Brumbies players having to be recalled from the tunnel as they trundled off to their dressing room.

The Stormers took the lead when prop Wilco Louw barged his way over soon after the break but the Brumbies pushed in front again just before the hour-mark as fullback Thomas Banks crossed for a try, with Christian Lealiifano’s conversion being the last points in the game.


Foley leads Waratahs in second-half fightback to beat Rebels

Kerevi the mastermind as Reds score upset away win

Whiteley return sparks Lions forwards to beat Chiefs

Folau’s comments hurt Waratahs, but ready for Rebels clash - Foley

Folau’s comments completely wrong - Genia


Bernard Foley scored 16 second-half points as the Waratahs produced a controlled second 40 minutes to stay in contention for the Australian conference title with victory over the Rebels.

The Rebels had taken a 20-7 lead into halftime following tries to Billy Meakes and Reece Hodge and looked to be strong favourites to further extend their lead at the top of the Australian conference.

The Waratahs (20), however, were far more disciplined after the break and moved into second place ahead of the Queensland Reds (18), with the Melbourne-based side still on top on 24 points but they have a bye next week.

Adam Ashley-Cooper also scored a try for the Waratahs who were playing their first game since a furore broke out over controversial social media posts by Israel Folau, who faces a code-of-conduct hearing after he said gay people would go to “hell” if they did not “repent”.


Matt Faddes scored a long-range intercept try in the 56th minute that gave the Highlanders some breathing room as they snapped a five-game losing streak with victory over the Blues in Dunedin on Saturday.

All Blacks loose forward Shannon Frizell also scored a try for the home side, while their forwards destroyed the Blues scrum to earn a penalty try early in the second half to secure their first win since Feb. 22.

Blues blindside flanker Tom Robinson also continued to push himself forward as a World Cup dark horse selection with a first-half try after a Ma’a Nonu line break, while fullback Melani Nanai scored in the final minute of the game.

The 36-year-old Nonu, who last played for the All Blacks in the 2015 World Cup final, also continued his recent strong form that has also propelled him into discussions for the global showpiece.


The Reds won for the first time in 15 years in Durban as they held on for victory with captain Samu Kerevi outstanding in a gutsy performance at King’s Park on Friday.

Kerevi had a hand in each of the tries from Bryce Hegarty, Chris Feauai-Sautia and Tate McDermott as the Reds took a 14-0 lead in the first 20 minutes, went into the break 14-7 up and held on for victory.

Kerron van Vuuren and Jean-Luc du Preez scored tries for the Sharks, who had also suffered an upset 51-17 loss to the Jaguares last week. Their performance on Friday was littered with handling errors and missed tackles.


Wes Goosen scored a 68th-minute try as the Hurricanes battled back from a 13-point halftime deficit and kept the Sunwolves scoreless in the second spell to record victory despite a scrappy performance in Tokyo on Friday.

TJ Perenara, Ben Lam, and Chase Tiatia also scored tries for the visitors, who rested three All Blacks for the clash in Tokyo and found the home side’s frenetic style of play difficult to counteract.

The Hurricanes were also guilty of far too many missed tackles, turnovers, errors and indiscretions, but managed to finally exert some control in the second half.

Semisi Masirewa scored two tries for the home side, while flyhalf Hayden Parker converted both tries and slotted three penalties to build a 23-10 lead by halftime but they were unable to add to their score in the second half.


Captain Warren Whiteley underlined his influence and importance to the Lions as he returned from a long-term injury to lead his side to victory over the fast-finishing Chiefs in Hamilton on Friday.

Whiteley had missed the last six games due to a muscle tear in his chest and the Lions have not looked like the same side that have made the last three Super Rugby finals.

Carlu Sadie and winger Aphiwe Dyantyi scored tries for the Lions, who managed to snuff out any late comeback from the home side when Elton Jantjies slotted a 79th-minute drop goal.

Winger Sean Wainui, prop Nepo Laulala and replacement Tumua Manu all scored tries in the final 20 minutes for the Chiefs, who came alive only in the final quarter after a 30-metre burst by scrumhalf Neil Weber had set up Wainui’s try. (Reporting by Greg Stutchbury, Mark Gleeson and Nick Said; Editing by Sudipto Ganguly/Christian Radnedge/Clare Fallon)

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below