* Everton 1 Stoke City 0 at Goodison Park
* Wayne Rooney scores on his Premier League return for Everton in 45th minute
* It was his first league appearance for his boyhood club since returning from Manchester United
* Dominic Calvert-Lewin could have made it 2-0
* Everton keeper Jordan Pickford made a vital save in injury time
* Everton visit Manchester City on Monday August 21, Stoke are at home to Arsenal on Saturday August 19
Aug 12 (Reuters) - Wayne Rooney marked his Premier League return in Everton colours with the winning goal in a 1-0 victory over Stoke City at Goodison Park on Saturday.
Rooney, who was full of invention and energy throughout, rose well to meet a fine Dominic Calvert-Lewin cross with a looping header into the far corner on the stroke of half-time.
The former England captain rejoined his boyhood club last month after 13 years with Manchester United.
Everton’s new goalkeeper, Jordan Pickford, pulled off a superb save in injury time to deny Xherdan Shaqiri an equaliser from a long-range drive. (Reporting by Simon Evans,; Editing by Neville Dalton)