* Man City beat Tottenham 1-0 to go back to the top
* Riyad Mahrez fired Man City ahead after mistake by Kieran Trippier
* Mahrez had another effort turned against the post by Hugo Lloris
* Harry Kane wasted Tottenham’s best chance in the first half
* David Silva should have doubled City’s lead after the break
* Erik Lamela blazed over late on for Tottenham
* Tottenham go to Wolves next, City host Southampton
LONDON, Oct 29 (Reuters) - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 0 MANCHESTER CITY 1
Oct 29 (Reuters) - Manchester City returned to the Premier League summit on goal difference with a 1-0 victory over fifth-placed Tottenham Hotspur courtesy of an early goal by Riyad Mahrez at a subdued Wembley Stadium on Monday.
It was not the free-rolling City of late and Tottenham will rue missing some good opportunities to salvage something from a rather disjoined affair on a patchwork pitch.
Mahrez caught Tottenham cold in the sixth minute after a defensive mistake but despite City’s dominance they were missing their usual clinical edge on a poor surface scarred by an NFL fixture a day earlier.
David Silva and Mahrez both could have put the game beyond Tottenham but the hosts, who were on a four-match winning run in the league and could have gone above City into second with a win, always looked a threat.
Dele Alli returned from a hamstring injury for Tottenham and his arrival as a substitute sparked some late pressure in which Erik Lamela spurned a glorious late chance to equalise.
City held form for a sixth consecutive Premier League clean sheet to knock Liverpool off top spot. They both have 26 points while Tottenham have 21. (Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Pritha Sarkar)