* Manchester City beat Watford 2-1 at Vicarage Road
* Riyad Mahrez set up first goal and then scored the second
* Watford pulled one back late on through Abdoulaye Doucoure
* Champions City had to defend deep in the tense final stages
* City travel to Chelsea next, Watford away at Everton WATFORD 1 MANCHESTER CITY 2
Dec 4 (Reuters) - Manchester City extended their lead at the top of the Premier League to five points with a 2-1 win at Watford thanks to the magic of Riyad Mahrez on Tuesday.
The home side had kept City at bay for most of the first half but Ben Foster’s goal was finally breached five minutes before the break when a cross from Algerian Mahrez was edged past the goalkeeper by the chest of Leroy Sane.
Mahrez scored himself shortly after halftime by firing in with his devastating left foot from the middle of the area.
City were easing to another victory when Abdoulaye Doucoure bundled the ball home after a goal-line scramble five minutes from time to give Pep Guardiola’s side a nervy finish.
Watford, who have not won since October, pressed in vain for an equaliser as they suffered their third successive defeat.
City, still unbeaten in the league this season, lead the standings with 41 points ahead of Liverpool who visit Burnley on Wednesday looking to keep their own undefeated record intact. (Reporting by Christian Radnedge; Editing by Ken Ferris)