July 1 (Reuters) - Factbox on France striker Karim Benzema, who agreed to join Real Madrid from Olympique Lyon on Wednesday.
* Born December 19, 1987 in Lyon, Benzema shone through the youth ranks and made his Ligue 1 debut as an 17-year-old in January 2005 against Metz.
* Member of France's under-17 European championship-winning side in 2004 alongside Arsenal's Samir Nasri.
* Helped Lyon win four consecutive French league titles from 2005 to 2008.
* Best season was 2007-08, in which he ended as the Ligue 1 top scorer with 20 goals. Lyon also lifted the French Cup that season, completing their first domestic double.
* Scored 43 goals in 112 domestic matches.
* Made France debut in 1-0 friendly win against Austria in March 2007, scoring the only goal of the game.
* Has scored six goals in 24 appearances.
* Several top clubs, including Manchester United, had expressed an interest in the promising forward but Benzema had always said his dream was to play for Real Madrid.
* Would love to walk in the footsteps of another gifted son of Algerian immigrants, Zinedine Zidane, who graced Real and is now an advisor to club chairman Florentino Perez.
* Becomes Real's third major signing for the 2009-10 season after Brazil's Kaka from AC Milan and Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo from United.
- - - -
(Editing by Tom Pilcher)