December 11, 2007 / 12:41 PM / 10 years ago

Soccer-Banned Alam Shah still eligible for World Cup qualifiers

BANGKOK, Dec 11 (Reuters) - Singapore striker Noh Alam Shah can still play in next year’s 2010 World Cup qualifiers, despite being banned for a year for attacking a fellow national team player, the country’s soccer federation said on Tuesday.

Although a local disciplinary committee on Monday fined Alam Shah 2,000 Singapore dollars ($1,387) and banned him from domestic games, he is still eligible to play in internationals, a spokesman for the federation said.

“The ban means he cannot play any domestic matches at all, but he is free to play for the national team if the coach chooses to play him,” the official said by telephone.

During last month’s Singapore Cup Final, Alam Shah kneed and elbowed Singapore Armed Forces defender Daniel Bennett in the chest, sending him to the floor.

With Bennett lying on the ground, Alam Shah then kneed him in the back of the head.

Although the feisty frontman is regarded as one of Southeast Asia’s best strikers, he has a reputation for being hot-headed and volatile.

He won the Golden Boot and Most Valuable Player awards at this year’s ASEAN soccer championships after scoring 10 goals -- including seven in one match.

Singapore will resume their World Cup qualifying campaign in February and face Lebanon, Uzbekistan and Saudi Arabia in Group Four. (Reporting by Martin Petty; editing by Miles Evans)

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below