February 27, 2007 / 4:39 PM / 12 years ago

Soccer-Roundup-Keane red-card appeal rejected

LONDON, Feb 27 (Reuters) - Soccer news in brief from around the world:

* Tottenham Hotspur striker Robbie Keane’s appeal against his red card for deliberate handball on the goalline against Bolton Wanderers on Sunday was rejected by the FA on Tuesday.

Keane, who had earlier scored twice and set up a third in the Premier League match which Spurs went on to win 4-1, was dismissed in the 36th minute for handling a goal-bound header by Ivan Campo.

It was the first red card of the Ireland striker’s career but he claimed the ball had struck his chest.

* Blackburn Rovers midfielder David Bentley has signed a new contract with the Premier League side that will keep him at Ewood Park until 2011.

The 22-year-old, who joined Rovers from Arsenal in January last year, has scored six times this season.

“David has really blossomed this season to produce a consistently high level of performance,” manager Mark Hughes told the club’s Web site (www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk)

* Wigan Athletic manager Paul Jewell has admitted a charge of improper conduct for his behaviour towards referee Phil Dowd following his side’s 2-1 defeat by Arsenal on Feb. 11, the FA said.

Jewell was furious Dowd failed to award Wigan a penalty in the game at the Emirates Stadium.

The FA said Jewell had requested a personal hearing.

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below