PARIS, June 1 (Reuters) - World number one Andy Murray clawed his way back from a set down to defeat Slovakia’s Martin Klizan in the French Open second round on Thursday.
The Briton won 6-7(3) 6-2 6-2 7-6(3) to set up a third-round clash with Argentine Juan Martin del Potro, who progressed after his opponent Nicolas Almagro retired with a knee injury in the third set.
Earlier, third-seeded Swiss Stan Wawrinka advanced to the third-round without dropping a set so far, outplaying Ukraine’s Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-4 7-6(5) 7-5.
In the women’s draw, third seed Simona Halep strolled into the third round with a no-nonsense 6-4 6-3 victory over German Tatjana Maria.
Karolina Pliskova had to work hard for her 6-2 4-6 6-3 win over Ekaterina Alexandrova in a see-saw encounter that lasted one hour and 41 minutes.
Highlights from day five of the French Open tennis championships on Thursday (all times GMT):
- Croatian Petra Martic registered a 3-6 6-3 6-1 victory over 12th-seeded American Madison Keys, who was struggling with a wrist injury.
- France’s Richard Gasquet claimed a 6-1 6-0 6-4 win over Victor Estrella Burgos of the Dominican Republic on Court Suzanne Lenglen.
- Veronica Cepede Royg defeated 16th seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in three sets to reach the third round of a grand slam for the first time.
- She is the first Paraguayan to reach this stage of a major since Rossana de los Rios made it to the fourth round at Roland Garros in 2000.
- Fernando Verdasco fended off two break points in his final service game to beat France’s Pierre-Hugues Herbert 6-3 3-6 4-6 6-3 6-3 in three hours and 29 minutes.
- It was Verdasco’s 40th five-setter at a grand slam, joining Lyetton Hewitt (45) and Andre Agassi (41) as the only players featured in 40-plus five-set contests in the Open Era.
- Second seed Karolina Pliskova edged Russia’s Ekaterina Alexandrova 6-2 4-6 6-3 in a hard-fought second round encounter.
- Third seed Simona Halep defeated German Tatjana Maria 6-4 6-3.
- The 25-year-old Romanian will face Daria Kasatkina of Russia in the third round.
- Frenchman Gael Monfils eased past Brazilian Thiago Monteiro with a 6-1 6-4 6-1 win.
- Nick Kyrgios was knocked out in the second round by South African Kevin Anderson 5-7 6-4 6-1 6-2.
- The Australian destroyed two rackets and was handed a penalty point at the end of the second set.
- Briton Kyle Edmund secured a third-round spot with a 7-5 6-3 6-1 win over Argentine Renzo Olivo.
- Top seed Andy Murray survived a slow start to get over the line with a 6-7(3) 6-2 6-2 7-6(3) win over Martin Klizan of Slovakia.
- The world number one will face Argentine Juan Martin del Potro in round three.
- 17th seed Anastasija Sevastova booked a third round spot with a 6-3 6-0 win over Canadian Eugene Bouchard in 59 minutes.
- Third seed Stan Wawrinka, the 2015 champion, reached the third round at Roland Garros with a 6-4 7-6(5) 7-5 win over Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine.
- He will next face Italian Fabio Fognini.
- Russian Karen Khachanov defeated 13th seed Tomas Berdych 7-5 6-4 6-4 to claim one of the biggest wins of his career.
- The 21-year-old Russian is through to the third round of a grand slam for the first time and will face American John Isner.
- Eighth seed Kei Nishikori stormed past France’s Jeremy Chardy 6-3 6-0 7-6(5) to reach the third round.
- The Japanese survived an injury scare after having his chest massaged early in the third set.
- Spain’s Feliciano Lopez advanced to the third round with a 7-5 3-6 7-5 4-6 6-4 victory over compatriot David Ferrer in a gruelling battle that lasted nearly four hours.
- Nicolas Almagro was forced to retire against Juan Martin del Porto with the match level at one set all and 1-1.
- Del Potro will face either world number one Andy Murray or Martin Klizan of Slovakia in the third round.
- Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei defeated Taylor Townsend 6-0 2-6 6-3 to reach the third-round for the first time at Roland Garros.
- Hsieh stunned British number one Johanna Konta in the first round earlier this week.
- Ninth seed Agnieszka Radwanska needed nearly two and a half hours to beat Belgian qualifier Alison Van Uytvanck 6-7(3) 6-2 6-3.
- The 28-year-old will face Alize Cornet in the third round.
- American John Isner has progressed to the third round with a 6-3 7-6(3) 7-6(2) win over Italian Paolo Lorenzi.
- Isner could face 13th seed Tomas Berdych or Russian Karen Khachanov in the third round.
- Fifth seed Elina Svitolina had to claw her way back from a set down to beat former quarter-finalist Tsvetana Pironkova 3-6 6-3 6-2.
- Alize Cornet recovered from 4-2 down in the first set to bag a 6-4 6-1 win over Barbora Strycova of Czech Republic.
- Seventh seed Marin Cilic, one of six men’s grand slam champions in the draw, claims a comfortable 6-3 6-2 6-2 win over Russian Konstantin Kravchuk. The Croatian hit an impressive tally of 37 winners during the match.
- Daria Kasatkina defeated Marketa Vondrousova 7-6(1) 6-4 in a battle of next-generation Czech youngsters. The 20-year-old reached the third round at Roland Garros for the second consecutive year.
0910 PLAY BEGINS ON THE FIFTH DAY (Compiled by Aditi Prakash and Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru, editing by Pritha Sarkar)