Feb 13 (Reuters) - Ryan Harrison has denied any wrongdoing after comments by fellow American Donald Young following their stormy first-round clash at the New York Open on Monday.
The two players had a heated debate at a change of ends during the match won by world number 44 Harrison, with the umpire intervening to calm the situation.
Following his 6-3 7-6(4) defeat Young took to Twitter to offer his views on what had happened.
“I’m shocked and disappointed, Ryan Harrison, to hear you tell me how you really feel about me as a black tennis player in the middle of our NY match.
“I thought this was supposed to be an inclusive gentleman’s sport,” the 28-year-old world number 65 said.
Young did not elaborate on what was actually said between the pair, but Harrison was quick to respond.
“The accusations made by Donald Young tonight following our match are absolutely untrue,” he said on Twitter.
“I’m extremely disappointed that someone would say this in reaction to a lost tennis match. Any video/audio will 100 percent clear me and I encourage anyone with the available resources to find it.”
Straight after the match Harrison gave an interview in which he said any bad feeling had been in the heat of the moment.
“At the end of the day, you see everybody, you like everybody and you want to be friends and friendly with everybody, but everybody out here I compete against, even the ones I like, they are the ones trying to take away my livelihood,” he said.
“I have to do what I can to get through, and I was proud of myself for doing that.” (Reporting by Martyn Herman; Editing by Toby Davis)