LONDON (Reuters) - A man who raped an 18-year-old schoolboy was told on Friday he will only be freed from jail when he is no longer considered a risk to the public.
Amir Faizi, 22, was given an indeterminate period of imprisonment for the attack on the youth in west London.
The schoolboy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was waiting for a bus in Hounslow after a night out with friends in Ealing when Faizi approached him, police said.
Faizi started talking to the boy and told him “I’ll take you home”.
He then grabbed the victim, who had been unreceptive to his offer, and started to drag him off. As the boy began to cry, Faizi punched him in the face, and threatened to kill him.
The victim was taken to a small service yard where Faizi raped him twice.
“Sexual assaults and rapes always have a massive impact on their victims, but when the victim is an 18-year-old man the impact can be overwhelming,” Detective Sergeant Katie Lilburn said in a statement.
“I cannot express more highly admiration for the courage that the victim of Faizi has shown. Without the support of him and his family throughout this investigation Faizi may not have been held accountable for his actions and would be free to prey on other victims.”
The attack happened in April last year. Faizi, who was tracked using DNA evidence, pleaded guilty to rape at Isleworth Crown Court in November.
Sentencing him on Friday, Judge McGregor Johnson said he was a dangerous offender who would not be eligible for parole for 2-1/2 years and who should only be released when he was no longer considered to be a public threat.
Reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Steve Addison
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.