LONDON (Reuters) - Manchester United defender Jonny Evans will not be charged over allegations of rape at a hotel last Christmas, police and prosecutors said on Friday.
The Crown Prosecution Service said there was insufficient evidence to bring any charges against the 20-year-old, who currently plays on loan for Sunderland.
Police were called last December to a report that a 26-year-old had been attacked at the Great John Street Hotel in Manchester city centre.
Evans was questioned over the allegations. The hotel was briefly closed to the public while police investigated the report.
The CPS said: “We take any allegation of rape extremely seriously and all rape cases are reviewed by specialist prosecutors.
“After carefully examining the evidence in this case, we have decided that there is not enough evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction”
In a brief statement, Manchester police said: “The CPS has now taken the decision to take no further action.”
Reporting by Peter Griffiths