(Reuters) - British defence officials said they had sent about 14 helicopters to evacuate a North Sea oil accommodation rig on Sunday following a security alert.
Here are some details on the Safe Scandinavia rig:
* The accommodation base is about 210 kms northeast of the Scottish city of Aberdeen.
* In July 2007 the rig received the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway’s Acknowledgement of Compliance (AoC) as a “flotel” or “floating hotel”.
* The Safe Scandinavia is operated by Prosafe Offshore Limited.
* The Safe Scandinavia was built in 1984 at the Norwegian oil services company Aker Maritime’s Aker Verdal construction yard.
* It has a maximum of 583 beds and 59 work stations.
Reuters Breakingviews is the world's leading source of agenda-setting financial insight. As the Reuters brand for financial commentary, we dissect the big business and economic stories as they break around the world every day. A global team of about 30 correspondents in New York, London, Hong Kong and other major cities provides expert analysis in real time.
Sign up for a free trial of our full service at https://www.breakingviews.com/trial and follow us on Twitter @Breakingviews and at www.breakingviews.com. All opinions expressed are those of the authors.