(Reuters) - Fast bowler Mohammed Shami will be offered a central contract after the committee of administrators (CoA) running India’s cricket board (BCCI) said no action was warranted against him for alleged breaches of its anti-corruption code.
Shami was left out of the list of contracted players unveiled by the BCCI earlier this month after being charged by police in the Indian city of Kolkata following a complaint by his wife, who accused him of domestic violence.
The board’s decision to omit the 27-year-old from the list of contracted players raised doubts about his ability to participate in this year’s Indian Premier League for his team the Delhi Daredevils.
Shami’s wife, Hasin Jahan, also alleged that her husband had received money from a Pakistani woman named Alishba before returning to India after the tour of South Africa earlier this year.
It was the latter allegation that prompted the committee of administrators to initiate an investigation into Shami.
Shami has denied any wrongdoing.
The BCCI said on Thursday that Neeraj Kumar, head of its anti-corruption unit, had investigated the allegations against Shami and submitted a confidential report clearing him of wrongdoing with respect to the BCCI’s code.
“Based on the conclusions in the said report, the CoA is of the view that no further actions/proceedings under the BCCI anti-corruption code are warranted in the matter,” the board said in a statement.
“For this reason, the BCCI shall proceed with offering a Grade ‘B’ annual retainership contract to Mohd. Shami.”
Reporting by Simon Jennings in Bengaluru, editing by Pritha Sarkar