PARIS (Reuters) - Factbox on Slovenian Tadej Pogacar, who won his maiden Tour de France title on Sunday:
Born: Sept. 21, 1998
Grand Tour titles (1): Tour de France 2020
* Coached by former world road race bronze medallist and fellow Slovenian Andrej Hauptman
* In 2016, he takes third place in the European championships’ road race
* 2018 is Pogacar’s breakthrough year. He wins the Tour de l’Avenir, a stage race for young riders often seen as a springboard for the Tour de France. He also won the mountains classification in that race.
GRAND TOUR DEBUT
* In 2019, Pogacar becomes the youngest winner of the Tour of California
* He also wins the Tour of Algarve
* On his grand tour debut, Pogacar wins three stages at the Vuelta a Espana to finish third overall behind Primoz Roglic and Alejandro Valverde
* In 2020, he gears up for the Tour de France by finishing fourth in the Criterium du Dauphine
* On the Tour de France, the Slovenian champion claims the overall lead on the penultimate day, overturning a 57-second deficit to leapfrog Roglic.
* Pogacar is the youngest rider to win the Tour de France since Henri Cornet in 1904, the second youngest ever
* He is the first rider to win on his Tour debut since France’s Laurent Fignon in 1983
* He is the first rider since Eddy Merckx in 1969 to hold three distinctive jerseys (yellow, white for the best Under-25, polka dot for the mountains classification). Merckx had won the mountains classification, yellow jersey and green jersey for the points classification
* He is the first rider to snatch the yellow jersey on the penultimate day since Cadel Evans in 2011
Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by Ed Osmond
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.