February 21, 2009 / 11:12 AM / 10 years ago

Rocket from Lebanon wounds three Israelis: medics

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - At least one rocket fired from Lebanon landed in northern Israel on Saturday, lightly wounding three people and prompting Israel to respond with a brief artillery barrage, the Israeli army said.

Israeli soldiers survey the remains of a rocket fired from Lebanon that landed in northern Israel February 21, 2009. At least one rocket fired from Lebanon landed in northern Israel on Saturday, lightly wounding three people and prompting Israel to respond with a barrage of artillery shells, the Israeli army said. REUTERS/Gil Nechushtan

In Beirut, a security source, asking not to be identified, said two rockets had been fired from the area of Mansouri, south of Tyre, and that Israel had responded by firing at least six artillery shells into southern Lebanon. No one was wounded.

The source said another rocket landed in the village of Naqoura along the Mediterranean coast close to the Israeli border and site of the headquarters for the United Nations peacekeeping force in southern Lebanon.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility by any group.

The Lebanese army said it found two wooden rocket launchers in the Qleileh-Mansouri area, south of the coastal city Tyre.

The Israeli army said it responded with artillery fire because of the rocket attack.

A statement from Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora’s office said Lebanon was committed to implementing U.N. Security Council resolution 1701 which ended a month-long war between Israel and Hezbollah guerrillas in 2006.

He said the attack threatened the area’s stability and condemned Israel’s artillery fire.

“Prime Minister Siniora (said) the rockets launched from the south threaten security and stability in this region and are a violation of resolution 1701, and these issues are rejected, condemned and denounced ... Israeli artillery (fire is an) inexcusable violation of Lebanese sovereignty,” the statement said.

The last rockets launched from Lebanon into Israel were fired on January 8 when a Palestinian group said it had attacked Israel in response to the offensive in Gaza.

Some 1,300 Palestinians and 13 Israelis were killed in the 22-day Gaza operation that ended in a cease-fire on January 18.

A spokesman for the Magen David Adom (MDA) ambulance service said the three wounded were lightly injured and had been taken to hospital.

Reporting by Yara Bayoumy in Beirut and Ori Lewis in Jerusalem, Writing by Ori Lewis; Editing by Elizabeth Piper

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below