AMMAN (Reuters) - A Jordanian official source told Reuters on Friday there were confirmed reports of a ceasefire in southern Syria that would lead to “reconciliation” between opposition and government forces whose battles have stirred fears of a humanitarian catastrophe.
The source did not elaborate further on the reports of an agreement in the territory where Syrian government forces have been waging a campaign to regain rebel-held territory since last week.
Earlier government spokeswoman Jumana Ghunaimat told state news agency Petra that Jordan backed a “ceasefire and calm that would protect civilian lives, especially children and women.”
The Syrian army offensive has driven tens of thousands of people towards the border with Jordan and thousands more to the frontier with the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
Israel and Jordan say they will not let refugees in.
“The search and engagement has not stopped with all the parties to make a success of the efforts to stop the military escalation,” Ghunaimat added.
“Jordan welcomes any solution to end bloodshed and prevent the displacement of more civilians from our Syrian brothers.” the spokeswoman and cabinet minister said.
Jordan has been facilitating talks between groups of Free Syrian Army rebels and the Russians over a deal that would end the fighting in return for the re-establishment of state sovereignty in Deraa province.
Ghunaimat again reiterated the kingdom’s refusal to allow Syrian refugees to cross into the country, saying Jordan’s limited resources prevented it from bearing any additional burden. The kingdom already hosts over 666,000 U.N. registered refugees.
Reporting by Suleiman Al-Khalidi, Editing by Andrew Heavens, William Maclean