PARIS (Reuters) - Several players have been left out of the France squad to face Italy in their next Six Nations game after the French rugby federation said it had sanctioned those who went out overnight following Saturday’s defeat by Scotland.
“(Coach) Jacques Brunel has decided to exclude from that list the players who went out after the defeat in Scotland,” the FFR said in a statement.
“With this inappropriate behaviour, they failed to respect their duty as international players.”
Alexandre Lapandry, Arthur Iturria, Anthony Belleau, Felix Lambey, Jonathan Danty, Remi Lamerat, Louis Picamoles and Teddy Thomas, who scored all three French tries in the championship, do not feature on the list for the Feb. 23 game in Marseille.
However, the FFR did not name the players sanctioned.
The French federation said on Monday that some players had been interviewed by Scottish authorities.
Police Scotland said on Monday that “following an initial report of sexual assault in Edinburgh city centre during the early hours of Monday 12 February, police conducted various lines of inquiry, including speaking to a number of potential witnesses.
“These inquiries have established that no crime has been committed.”
France lost their first two games, 15-13 at home to Ireland, and 32-26 to Scotland in Murrayfield last Saturday.
Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by Christian Radnedge